PDA

View Full Version : 'splain

Shark
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
explain taiji to someone who has just asked you and who knows nothing about it.
better hurry,you only have a few seconds

carolinew
01-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Depends who I'm explaining to.

The descriptions are as follows:

gentle circular flowing movements that help relieve tension and help you to relax

verticle, circular yoga

a form of martial art done for health reasons

Any one interestead after a brief descrition then asks all sorts of questions gets a longer answer.

Melanie
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
A relaxing health exercise based on an ancient Chinese martial art. Backed-up by scientific medical studies.PERIOD

After this Q & A, handouts and demo

Greyphantom
01-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Its a fantastic martial art that has great health benefits... works with internal power and is certainly NOT just for the elderly or alternative crowd... brilliant on so many levels...

harvey2bicks
01-19-2005, 06:35 AM
Taiji or Taijiquan? now theres a pickle of a question

Shark
01-19-2005, 10:41 AM
good point,let's clarify it
a bit further;you could say
that t'ai chi or (taiji) which is the name i referred to it by is one of the four main training excercises for the martial art taijiquan.the other three are push hands (sensitivity training) da lu (a two person technical drill excercise) and san shou,free form sparring (full contact).these are all part of the practice of taijiquan.
one of the taijiquan excercises or"the form"(often called taiji or t'ai chi) is a slow moving calesthenic excercise that aims at uniting body and mind in the most harmonious fashion possible
so that true martial power will result;the taiji form is also an excercise for health, longevity and self cultivation.
whew! (that's the long version let's hope you never have to use it!)

"wow,lost me buddy!
"hey,are you a buddhist or something man?"

harvey2bicks
01-20-2005, 04:59 AM
very well put Shark, put me down for quan please and some dao and gun on the side.
and my description would be if yoga and kung fu had a baby it would be taiji.
it become taijiquan when the baby grow up and beats his dad in a fight :D :D :D

Shark
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
that's a great description.
i think one of these great candidates deserve to be awarded a free dvd by Dr. Lam.('monly kiddin'!)
seriously though,you only have a few more seconds before that newfound friend of yours has their back to you and is checking out the band.Better wrap it up.

harvey2bicks
01-21-2005, 04:40 AM
oh if its that description "its all about sensitivity" that usualy impresses potential partners;) ;)

cduane
01-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Short definition:
Tai Chi is a language of movement.

Condensed definition:
Tai Chi practice cultivates mind, health, and fighting art-forms.

Full definition:
Contained in the several pages of the Tai Chi classics.

Shark
01-23-2005, 03:28 PM
nice thanks;think i'll use your clever idea for my response also;it's about time i faced the music and answered my own questions anyway.
Short answer:T'ai chi is an
excercise for health based on an old Chinese martial art.
Condensed answer:T'ai chi is a "soft fist" Chinese boxing style that is also used as an excercise for health,self cultivation and longevity.It is several centuries old.
Long answer: 5 posts back

cduane
02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Tai Chi is:
a sequence of postures,
combined with breathing,
practiced in continuous motion.