PDA

View Full Version : tongue

CLaBarge
01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
When tongue is on the roof of mouth should it also be touching the back of the throat?

Shark
01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
if you keep your mouth closed and breath thro your nose during form practice, you find your tongue goes to where it's supposed to be naturally without your having to think about it;what i've found is that
if you read the trades like t'ai chi magazine etc.where individuals tell you should be doing this or that or even the classics,that most things fall into place correctly without conscious thought;it's almost like you're being guided;kinda like "yeah,i knew that."
That's because all this stuff is naturally a part of the design/blueprint and the elements go hand in hand.
If you've been taught correctly,there's nothing in the classics you don't already know

carolinew
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Most of the time I don't think about my tongue, but now I am aware of it, the tip of my tongue is behind my front teeth at the top.

In meditation, and in Tai Chi class when breathing throuhg the nose your tongue should be just behind your teeth and at the front of your mouth. The reason behind this is the energy flow is circular and this helps keep the circle complete!

soraya
01-26-2005, 07:05 PM
The tongue is attached to the palate behind the teeth which is an acupuncture point(?) to close the meridian circuit. One of my students who is a yoga teacher told me that this is also the point closing the circuit of prana. For many of the students this comes naturally, but in class I have told them to do so. It also prevents from doing mouth breathing by accident.

soraya
02-02-2005, 12:11 AM
I just had a discussion with Chen YIng JUn that the tongue isn't that important. It will fall into the right place anyway. More important is relaxing the dantien, breathing in and out through the dantien while passing the nose........

norm_one
02-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi All

The tongue is attached to the palate behind the teeth which is an acupuncture point(?) to close the meridian circuit.
Does it make any difference if you have dentures especially if the palate is stainless steel, because you are not actually touching the acupunture point.

I would appreciate feed back on this point as I have dentures with a stainless steel palate

elan
02-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Norm,
When I touch my tongue to my palate I feel the connection immediately. It is an electric feeling, like if you ever touched a nine-volt radio battery to you tongue (to see if it was dead). Can you try without the dentures to see if there is a difference. Also be aware that everyone experiences things differently.
Elan

Shark
02-04-2005, 10:47 PM
that's a mighty interestin' question,norm;
if the mouth is kept closed and the facial muscles are relaxed and the head feels balanced and suspended from the crown point and all necessary elements concerning your head and neck are in place,your tongue will find it's natural resting place;i would tend to believe that the positioning of the tongue in the mouth will be more important than whether the tip actually connects or not,(in attempt to answer your question).
I also think more importance is being attached to this than is actually necessary (as usual).this forum can have a tendency to over-analyze

soraya
02-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Obviously I do know the principles very well. My teacher recently criticized me for the head not being suspended throughout the form. He urged me to meditate the head a bit more prior to practicing.He also said forget about that string suspended like a puppet on a string metaphor, better be simple:head straight, eyes straight ahead, chin tucked in, the head and neck LIGHT and not stiff. The lips sung, the teeth barely touching and the tongue will fall by itself.......denture or not denture.......

soraya
02-05-2005, 11:31 PM
AFter this the qi will naturally rise to Bahui