PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi In The Media

Eileen
02-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Hello All:

Recently we had a thread about tai chi in the media.

I was reading my local news station's website and came across this article. Im not sure if this is the one that was printed in the NYTimes.

In any event, this is from a RI news station website.

http://wjar-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index.cfm?pt=itemDetail&Item_ID=112735&Site_Cat_ID=77

Be well,

Eileen

soraya
02-10-2005, 06:09 PM
For those who can receive European satellite there wil be a documentary on Tai Chi on ZDF/Arte, one of the major tV stations in Germany. It is launched by Jan Silberstorff, a Chen stylist and direct representative of Chenxiaowang. Please view this website:
www.wctag.de

carolinew
02-11-2005, 09:07 AM
It is good tai chi is getting so much media attention. In the UK it features in adverts along with other martial arts. I have also found tai chi articles in a variety of magazines, and it has featured in films and books, and the BBC has a clip of Tai Chi being performed between some programmes.

Shark
02-11-2005, 11:28 AM
yeah,wish there was as much as for yoga and pilates but grateful for what there is;
have you gone to www.superiormartialarts.com? click on to where it says "add martial arts news to your site" and you'll find frequent articles on t'ai chi appearing in addition to other styles

carolinew
02-11-2005, 02:38 PM
More and more people are getting interestead in Tai Chi. I often give people a list of sites, this one being prominent as one of my favorites.

Eileen
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Hello Everyone:

Thanks for the website addresses you posted.

I look forward to checking them out.

Eileen

carolinew
02-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi, this morning I was at the hospital with my significant other, he had an appointment, andit's am alternative way of celebrating ones wedding anniversary!

Any way to my point, I picked up a magazine in the paper shop to read while I waited. Not only did it have an article about tai chi, it also has a competition for a weekend of Tai Chi and Qi Gong.

Being unable to resist, I bought a copy and will enter the competition, as well as reading all the other interesting stuff in the magazine too!

Eileen
02-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Carolinew:

Good luck in the competiton!

Don't forget to tell us how it goes.

Eileen

garys
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
www.cyclemedia.net/work_editorial.asp
Click on osteobiflex, the new Frank. This is one clever ad.
Gary S

carolinew
02-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Eileen,
when I win (if I win) the competition, I can write all about it on our wonderfull forum. It will also be a chance to let other people know this site is available too.

breslinr
02-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Greetings

the following url takes you to a site that is advertised in Scotland and has been popular in recent years.

http://www.taichicaledonia.com/

enjoy

carolinew
02-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Breslinr, thanks for the link. I have a friend in Scotland who may be interestead.;)

Eileen
02-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Hello Everyone:

I recently found this aritcle on the website below. It is a report on a Study conducted about older women and tai chi. The article was printed on 2/18/05.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_23071.html

enjoy!
Eileen

carolinew
04-03-2005, 04:13 AM
I have just been catching up with yesterdays news papers, when I came across a piece in The Times.

The gist of the article is that Tai Chi is good for all kinds of things. It is ony telling us what we already know.

The piece advises seeking medical advice for such conditions as heart attacks and strokes, but with the right support there is a good recovery, and in older people it helps to improve things like balance co-ordination and memory.

carolinew
04-10-2005, 03:40 AM
Going through the papers this week I have found a number of articles on Tai Chi, some just a few lines and others between half and one page.

I think Tai Chi is becomming more fashionable, and this is being reflected in the price. One price offering tai chi retreat weekends would cost me the best part of £2,000. My family is grown up, and two of us are working, and this is still rather beyond my means.

Sorry if this sounds as though I am on my soap box, I know instructors need to make a living too, but feel something so beneficial should also make allowances for the less well off too.

Shark
04-10-2005, 06:14 AM
that's interesting caroline,although this is possibly the subject for another thread,t'ai chi organizations and teachers fees vary widely; my experience has been that privately a t'ai chi teacher can earn as much as $100-$200/hr.or as little as $30.at which point it becomes a labor of love,particularly if you're travelling to the client's house;sadly the vast majority of t'ai chi teachers are drastically underpaid and often have trouble extracting a timely
wage from their employers;that's the real truth.some organizations benefit their associate teachers by enabling them to earn a fair wage;(by comparison you might want to look at the T'ai Chi Farms fees for a weekend at their website,at first they may seem a bit steep until you really take everything into account.) at the other extreme end you have martial organizations like chuck norris' "kickstart" which tries with only moderate success to reach kid's in underpriveleged areas;their hearts are in the right place but they still have to charge somewhere
around $500. per program which is often beyond the means of most families who would like to paricipate.
while i appreciate and understand your point i feel somewhat ambiguous for some of the reasons afore mentioned;in some ways i kinda hope they gouge em.set the bar high,you have my support

carolinew
04-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Shark, you are right, fees and accesibility are for another thread. I for my part feel I have had my say on the subject. I know teachers work hard for their money and there are things like public liability insurance and hall rental to be taken into account. If the class is large it is hard for the tracher yo get round, and if it is small lessons get more expensive.

I was looking at one site which did weekend retreats in a very expensive hotel far away from any where. Looke beutiful, but beyond the means of myself and most of my friends, and that is just the hotel fees.

Shark
04-10-2005, 01:25 PM
good.perhaps it will be like the story of grey goose and kettle one vodka;
make the product more expensive,associate it with lavish pampering and people will buy into it.
recently our neighboring 5 star hotels,like the ritz carlton and madarin oriental,have featured t'ai chi as a prominent part of their health and pamper promotions

soraya
04-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi folks!

This is extremely interesting for a discussion thread. How about a new thread with the heading" Tai Chi fees, commercial or dedication?" or something similar?

Shark
04-11-2005, 08:04 PM
nice idea soraya but to quote caroline i've said my peace and it wouldn't do, (for me at least),to get back on the soap box