PDA

View Full Version : Impact of doing 2 styles

kawan
02-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi,
If you practice yang style in the morning and sun style in the evening, what would be the impact on your chi ? Would it mess up your system ?

Often, one is advised not to practice more than one type of chi kung at a time in case of incompatibilities. Does this caveat apply to Tai Chi as well ?

Thanks.

Thomas
02-21-2005, 03:56 AM
This combination will not mess you up. A few years ago I had the exact same routine as you - Yang-style and Sun-style. The Tung-family combine Yang and Hao, often in the same session.
However, I dumped Yang-style for Sun-style progression, since I find it more beneficial to focus on one style at a time. Since Sun-style can be pretty powerful in the qi-department, I would advise you to practice it in the afternoon instead of evening...it might mess with your sleep otherwise. Nothing scientific about this - just another opinion.

kawan
02-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi Thomas,
Thanks.

carolinew
02-21-2005, 12:22 PM
The advice I was given was to perfect one form or style at a time so that you get at least one right and not mess up two.

Sorry I don't know how advanced you are. For many years I looked for a form exercise that stimulated both mind and body, where I wasn't always several moves behind everyone else and struggling to keep up. Tai Chi fills many of my exercise needs. I swim when I can too.

stanton
02-21-2005, 12:48 PM
kawan,

That should not be any problem. Several of my 'modern' teachers when we reviewed form(s) for competitoins would do all together-Yang, Wu Sun, Chen. The caveat that we follow the basic requirements of each style. Obviously there were 'nuances' where each style would influence the other but in short, no problem. Relaxation, practice and awareness.

Shark
02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
i'd read that one should not mix styles together at the same time when practicing.this has less to do with chi than width of frames etc.Combining sun and yang in the same routine may be seen as undesireable for instance though i often mix some old yang postures w/cheng man-ching style without adverse results;i don't see where practicing two different styles at different times of day would be a problem

stanton
02-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Sound fanmiliar?

All the below are examples:
1. baqua taijiquan
2. Zhang taijiquan (shuaijiao)
3. Sun style (hao/wu with xing i)
4. Hung Fut (combination of Hung and Fut system
5. Choy Li Fut
6. Fu style taijiquan

The short list!

soraya
02-21-2005, 06:25 PM
When you are a novice it is advised to develop a good foundation in one style first, even when it is a short form. Learn the essential principles well.It depends on how well you can separate your mindset. The worst thing which can be done is to Chennize Yang or Yangize Sun style. Qi is qi and you don't even need to do Tai Chi for this. Just methods of cultivation is different in different martial arts and styles. In Tai Chi it is the nuances as Stanton so rightly put.

bobo711
02-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Hi Kawan:

I don't know about the impact, but I'll give you my routine:

1. Sun style short forms for TCA -- 12, 21, 30-movements.
2. TCD form, which is mostly Yang style.
3. The condensed 42 international competition form, which
is a combination of Chen, Yang, Wu and Sun styles.
4. These empty hand forms are followed by studying the
Flowing Tai Chi Fan form.

I do all of these usually after 11:00 P.M. because of my work schedule. Since I learned that a good time to do TC is between 11:00 P.M. and 11:00 A.M.. this works well for me. After doing all of the above, I feel just GREAT, and it does not interfere with my sleep in any way. However, I always do them SLOWLY, or I think they would charge my system up.

I've also learned that it's not good to practice TC and Chi Kung forms on the same day, it's better for us on alternating days.

Hopefully this helps. Please keep in mind that there are many TC practitioners that know alot more than me in here and this is just my schedule. Maybe I'll find out that my schedule isn't the best either, but I just have fun with and enjoy the many benefits that TC has offered me. Take care and best wishes.

Bob

Shark
02-21-2005, 09:15 PM
"it is not good to practice TC and Chi kung forms on the same day";says who?
(sorry but total B.S.)

kawan
02-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks. I'm glad that it's not detrimental to health to do more than one :)

stanton
02-22-2005, 09:37 AM
shark gasped that "it is not good to practice TC and Chi kung forms on the same day";says who? (sorry but total B.S.) but the main impetus should not be the form itself but the awareness and 'energetic' of the forms characteristics.

I personally play the Sun form after a hard day at work (mental tiredness and 'hightly stressed') as opposed to Chen style and sometimes even Yang. Chen style require 'excess energy' so I would not want to further exacerbate my problem. Sun style's 'formless manner' is what I imagine relaxes me knowing Chen' style energy requirements are 'excessive'.

It is true one can practice any form but each has their requirements (usually energy and 'energetic'). Sometimes even a 15-30 minute walk is good as opposed to extraneous method like taijiquan.

Shark
02-22-2005, 10:53 AM
that's a little different read than i got from bob's post and in that light it makes(some)sense;his statement indicated he was instructed that it would be "better for you" to practice chi kung and the form on alternate days but since the t'ai chi form is in itself a form of chi kung,it makes little sense that they would subtract from each other.

bobo711
02-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi again Kawan:

See, I stated in my post that there are alot of good folks in here who know alot more than me. (LOL) I was merely passing along what was passed on to me, and it may, or may not be considered correct. As you can see, there are many knowledgable practitioners in here and some aren't afraid to tell you if they think you're wrong. However, that's a healthy thing when we're allowed to express our opinions and still remain friendly and respect each other. I feel that TC isn't only about health benefits and self defense, but also teaches us respect for our art, ourselves, our instructors and other martial artists--when they earn it. Take care and best wishes.

Bob

Shark
02-23-2005, 08:46 AM
usual banter,bob.sorry

bobo711
02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Shark:

No problem my good man. Take care and best wishes.

Bob