PDA

View Full Version : Yang style application

kawan
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Hi,
Although it may not be possible to be an expert in the combat application without the help of an instructor, it is still useful to know what the various forms can do. I found, Michael Gilman's site which has a great tutorial with pictures of the applications. Unfortunately, he didn't put them all together into a pdf file like Erle :)

http://www.gilmanstudio.com/OnLine_Class/LessonIndex.htm

carolinew
03-05-2005, 05:51 AM
if you want to know more about Yang Style Applications try www.taichi-europe.com, although I expect before long someone from these forums will also give you an in depth answer

Shark
03-05-2005, 11:51 AM
In depth answer to what? was there a question? The only thing learning applications can do for you is give you a kind of directional sense of how the postures might work in sequence when confronted by a given situation; "given" situations are non existant in t'ai chi fighting when confronted with a real event because every movement is spontaneous and initiated basically as a reaction to your opponent's movement;studying application can only take you so far,sparring a bit further,training and experience the rest of the way;
nice site but with many gaps in instruction;this is the crudest method of learning and you're better off (not much) with a tape or dvd if a teacher is not readily available;usually tapes and dvd's don't show any application whatsoever.Angles of direction can be as confusing when filmed as they are in single frame shots;
Practicing the form can be compared to storing valuable fight techniques in a treasure chest but it takes an experienced teacher to be able to hand you the keys and there are no shortcuts i'm afraid

Marc Heyvaert
03-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Shark
Practicing the form can be compared to storing valuable fight techniques in a treasure chest but it takes an experienced teacher to be able to hand you the keys and there are no shortcuts i'm afraid

Very wise words... If you practice taijiquan it is better not to worry too much about applications. You need to have some idea what the movement could mean in terms of self-defence. But it is even more important to realize what the potential is of all these movements. So don't pin yourself down on one application for a certain movement. That has no significance whatsoever. It is better to work with the general principles and with all the potentiallity of the form. If you practice hard an well it only takes a few minutes for a teacher to 'unlock' what you have learned. Think about the movements yourself and try to find how they fit in with the taiji classics. You will be able to do some of the 'unocking' for yourself.

Marc

soraya
03-06-2005, 06:40 PM
One movement has many applications and TAi Chi is flexible, one needs to be "in the moment". HOwever, knowing one or two applications has educational and practice purposes, it helps the student to make the movements more accurate and purposeful. Intention or determination(yi) is an important aspect of cultivating qi and developing internal strength.

During form practice, my teacher barely talks about fighting, rather he talks about keeping the mind calm, the head and back straight, waist sunken, loosen and stretch joints etc....etc......When punching or kicking think of delivering thought force to your hand/foot and a certain physical point, which might be a spot on the opponent's body. He also discussed the moves, these postures and transitions are natural body movements as the qi flows along the natural structure of the body. In short, do the movements correctly and the fighting will come............

Last week he gave a demonstration and pulled my hand with his arm. I could easily redirect his arm. Then he used his waist as a commander with his arm and hand following, I felt an irresistable force and could only say"ouch"

Shark
03-06-2005, 09:30 PM
soraya,that's fascinating;
i remember my first teacher
demonstrating a take down from "raise hands" posture.
i felt like i had touched an electric eel and a second later i was on the ground where he had stopped just short of dislocating my shoulder.it's an experience you never forget.
completely agree w/your post marc,getting physically
familiar with the principles can help you open your own can,it's just that with a teacher it's much faster;but the very wisest words i've ever heard go like this:"the body teaches the mind,the mind passes it on to the spirit".it's just a question of time