PDA

View Full Version : Forms and transitions

kawan
03-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi,
I noticed that different masters do the Yang style differently. Not just the sequence but the posture and transitions have variations (clips below).

This begs the question whether there is a correct posture and transition. Even keeping the spine upright does not seem to be carved in stone as you can see from Tung Ying Chieh/Tung Hu Ling demo.

Are there other factors that are more important ?

http://www.taiji.de/taiji/head5_14/88-form.mpg

http://www.chipellis.com/videos/Tung%20Hu%20Ling%20Slow%20Set%201960%20Thailand.WM V

http://users.pandora.be/taiji/YangJianHou_kort.mpg

stanton
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
kawan,

However you were taught is the correct way as long as the essentials of relaxation (see Chengfu 10 'rules'), posture, etc are followed. As usual degree of fitness, health also impacts the form.

As you see from the various styles, everyone is unique.

carolinew
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
As far as I can tell, each form ha its correct way, and each form has its differences and similarities.

If you are following your teachers instructions, you are getting it right.

As we are all physically different, and have different levels of fitness there are bound to be variations. Relax and enjoy your form, and trust your teacher.

Shark
03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
stanton answered that so well adding two cents could almost seem redundant;(but then you don't know me,i'll risk redundancy for the opportunity of offering my two cents anyday).
When a singer or musician covers a song or piece of music,if he does it well,he kind of makes it his own;so it is with the t'ai chi form;one's own individual style tends to develop along the way according to what the individual has (or hasn't) picked up in terms of knowledge and insight;as pointed out,much of one's style is gleaned from whoever taught them so you can't go wrong if you follow the principles,and you can't be criticized,only marveled at.
my first teacher was a student of cheng man-ching and cheng man-ching students are generally "very cheng man-ching" in other words they transmit as pure as they can possibly remember and don't acknowledge any variation;i remembered being stupefied when seeing
the chengfu postures and brought it up to my teacher
who said quote"it's all Yang";that took me a while to swallow,it also took me awhile to respect and appreciate the purity of my teacher's transmission;since then i've seen quite a few masters and their forms are like snowflakes

kawan
03-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Hi,
Actually, I was a bit frustrated by these variations because I was having problem remembering the movements after the lessons and was looking to videos to help me when I practice at home.

I suppose the competition forms do not have this problem with variations since they are supposed to be standardized.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Shark
03-10-2005, 09:12 AM
i see your problem,in order to avoid this see if your teacher is willing recommend a video to supplement your instruction;without his recommendation,with all the styles out there,you may indeed be fishing in the dark

kawan
03-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi Shark,
That's a good idea. Thanks.