PDA

View Full Version : The benefit of Tai Chi comes from?

kawan
03-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi,
Where does he benefits of Tai Chi come from?
a) The physical movements which is a form
of slow exercise?
b) The mental relaxation ?
c) The Chi ?

Which of the above three provides the biggest benefit for the Tai Chi practitioner?

If one is young and healthy, is there anything to be gained from practising the Tai Chi forms in a way similar to wushu routines, with muscular strength?

Thanks.

carolinew
03-13-2005, 02:14 AM
For me the benefit is it is so relaxing. I think the benefits are an individual thing. Most of the people I know who do tai chi do it for health and fitness reasons and notice benefits in other areas of their lives too.

The benefits come from the whole thing, not just this aspect or that aspect. I know others will feel differently, which is right for them!

Shark
03-13-2005, 09:48 AM
the biggest benefit comes undoubtedly from creating intrinsic energy movement daily throughout the body which results in health,longevity,strengthens immune system etc.activating the body's own natural medicine;this can be viewed as t'ai chi's most valuable asset and benefit;as a martial art it is truly functional and deeply practical and benefit can be derived from this standpoint as well

Shark
03-13-2005, 10:02 AM
from a martial viewpoint t'ai chi chuan is a soft fist Chinese boxing style who's concepts and principles are diametrically opposed to wushu,(or at least wushu as it is practiced today)
many colleagues feel that if someone is practicing t'ai chi coming out of a hard style,that it will not be "pure" enough as it's true potential can actually be tainted by the practice of external forms

stanton
03-13-2005, 11:00 AM
kawan,

The benefit comes from (a) and (b).
(c) has always been there and will continue to be. as (a) and (b) are done (c) will be made better.
again, if there is a decrease in (a) and (b), to wit, diminshed practice, emotional worries, etc. then (c) will be made worse.

Greyphantom
03-14-2005, 02:41 AM
For me its definitely a and b...

kawan
03-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi,
Thanks. So that means that there is no need to feel chi flowing or feel palms and fingers shaking in order to benefit from Tai Chi.

That's a relief. I've not felt any of the above chi sensations so far.

Greyphantom
03-15-2005, 01:45 AM
I never feel shaking but do feel increased blood flow through my hands etc...

erwins
03-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Kawan,

I've been doing tai chi for about 3 - 4 years now and like you, the first 2 - 2.5 years, felt no chi flowing in my hands or anywhere else. I brought that up with my instructor one day in class and he said that I wasn't relaxed enough. He said I had to relax mentally AND physically. Apparently when you body is tense when you do the forms the chi tends to get blocked and doesn't flow.

It's hard to relax and not collapse and break form. And it is really hard to relax if you come from a hard martial arts background like karate, etc. But concentrate on relaxing and the chi will come.

Another benefit of relaxing is that you can sink in your legs a lot easier with less effort. Actually everything becomes easier, but for me the sinking and chi flow is my biggest benefit.

Good luck!

Erwin

soraya
03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
a and b only. The qi flows naturally along the body structure, the form is designed in such a manner that the qi will flow. When the mind and body is relaxed, the qi will flow.

My teacher's advice: work on your movements and not on your qi, do it correctly, focus and relax.......and your powers will grow........

A few issues we dealt with:
1.My back was slightly tense at a point, after the correction, I simply felt good and light...was that qi????....No worries........
2.I was thinking of my coming business appointment, slowly bring your wandering thought back like an autopilot.....
3.Have 50% thinking, the rest free and enjoy...than your movements become light and not heavy
4.Have the head straight, otherwise the qi will be stuck..
5.Stamping in Chen style, think of a kick, release force and not a stamp. If you think of stamping, you will put weight on your stamp. He let me kick with my weight down and I couldn't execute the kick. When you stamp with your weight down, you qi will bounce back to your hip and knee joints. In WEstern terms we say there is too much pressure and shock on the joints. So stamping is kicking or releasing force from your dantien into the ground

AikiMan
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
I have done it about 5 months now, completed my yang 24 form and now learning chen style old frame first form, I am reaping the benefit of getting off a lot of joint problem and gout attack problem. ( I still jog, and practice aikijutsu twice a week to maintain my fittness) I believe it is better if you still have the strength to train then to wait till you have problem then start learning, it can be quite painful. (of course now we have TCA and TCD which make it less painful)

I have problem getting my friends to learn they always feel that tai chi is for the old (btw I am only 40 and my friends are 30 to 45 range) and usually people have already develop some problem or too weak to do other exercise then they take up tai chi. :(

kawan
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone.