PDA

View Full Version : What to learn next?

erwins
03-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I've been practicing the 24 forms for a while now and would like to learn one of the other forms. I'm interested in getting either Sun style or 42 Sword form DVDs. Eventually, I'd like to learn both, but can anyone recommend doing one over the other first, and why?

I really want to learn 36 Chen style, but want to wait until it comes out on DVD first. From what I've read so far, that's going to be about a year.

Thanks,
Erwin

Marc Heyvaert
03-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Hello,

I suggest you stick with yang style for a little bit longer before learning another taijiquan style.

You could learn 8-form, a nice little routine that is highly technical and has the advantage that you need very little space to practice. I have a clip of this form on my website (follow the link that has (18MB) in brackets) :

http://www.sctaiji.org/8/posities8.asp

You could consider learning a long form. Modern Yang-style has its own variation of the traditional long form. It has 88 movements and there is an instructional video by Li Deyin that is ok. Clips on this page (near the bottom of the page):

http://www.sctaiji.org/88/posities88.asp

If you are on a slow connection you can have a look at pictures of this form here (there are 6 links at the bottom of the page) :

http://www.taiji.be/Fotoboek.htm

Learning a long form is important IMO because it is physically and mentally more demanding than the shorter forms.

Another alternative would be the 32 sword form. Paul Lam has a tape of this form.

If you want to bridge the gap between modern Yang style taijiquan and traditional Yang style you could also learn the 40-form competition routine. This form was developed in 1989. There is a clip on www.taiji.de somewhere. Very few VCD's of it around though. I know of one video (chinese only) on Jarek's site.

I have pictures of this form here:

http://www.taiji.be/Fotoboek.htm

Personally I would certainly go for the 32 sword form and for the 88-form before taking on another style.

Regards

Marc

soraya
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
What is your aim, Chen or other? TAke some time before making decision because dropping and chopping is somehow counterproductive.

Is your goal Chen 36? Then set this goal and practice and deepen your 24 forms. If you would like to fill the gap I suggest deepening the essential principles by doing 24 forms. Alternatively and simultaneously you can practice 32 sword form, it is easier and gives you a foundation of sword techniques.

How much time do you have and dhow far can you separate your mindset? The competition forms are easy and short, gives you a good foundation and variety.

soraya
03-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Within this year you may learn 42 forms or Sun 73, it depends on how much time you have. But do this one after another and find out how fast your learning ability is. 42 forms is considered the form after 24, contains some Chen moves if you would like to find out more about Chen

erwins
03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I will take everything in consideration and make a decision very soon. I have a martial arts background and it usually doesn't take me long to learn a form. My only problem is with the longer forms (longer than 50), I sometimes have a hard time remembering what comes next. A sign of getting old I suppose.

Erwin

erwins
03-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Actually,

I would really want to learn the Chen style, but want to wait till it goes to dvd to buy.

I happen to watch the Qi Gong DVD and saw Dr Lam do the 73 form Sun and it is beautiful and looks relatively easy to do. I would like to deepen my Qi Gong practice and maybe this will help since it has a lot of Qi Gong it it.

I also want to learn a Tai Chi weapons form, and that's what led me to maybe do the sword form.

I understand I can't and shouldn't learn all this overnight, but it is so tempting. I just have to practice patience and learn them one at a time.

Thanks for all your advice again.
Erwin

Dr. Paul Lam
03-15-2005, 07:35 PM
take your time, you might like to know most people in our school do 42 forms after 24. I would leave the sword say 32 forms after that.

Thomas
03-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Actually, if you are practicing Yang 24, I would suggest Yang 88 as the next logical step. You will satisfy your need for learning new techniques, as well as improving your skills in Yang-style.
I practiced Yang-style for about 5 years before I started learning another style, in my case Sun. Chen 36 may be a little overwhelming, and there is a slight risk for injury if you are not fit enough.