PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Standard Form

AikiMan
03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I am learning Chen's Lao Jia Yi Lu now and I am learning from a teacher, but due to his other commitment, sometimes I have to miss a month lesson or so, I have 2 instructional VCD on Lao Jia Yi Lu, one is Chen Zhen Lei and the other is Chen Xiao Wang, both has a slight difference in style (the difference mainly is the joining form, ie from one form moving to another form) and my teacher also has his own way. I learn mainly from my teacher and use the VCD to reference.

So the question is, is there a correct form or someone and some standard form to reference upon, for myself I will learn the exact style from my teacher first, and use the video for reference. (my teacher is quite opened, he says I can use other teacher's style, which I like and put into my style, as long my posture is correct and understand the martial application, my teacher is a believer of tai chi as a martial arts)

soraya
03-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Aikiman

From your post I believe your teacher is very good. My teacher is very open to slight differences too as long as the posture and principles is correct and you understand the martial application.

NO, for laojia yilu there is no standard like the competition form and I believe that this also leaves space for our own creativity. Chenxiaowang and Zhonglei are excellent interpreters of this form , so whatever you learn from them you will do it correctly.

Just a tip:
I don't see my teacher for several months due to my own commitments and he doesn't see his father Chenxiaowang for years. Practice makes perfect and the teacher shows you the principles and how to improve your posture and principles.

When your teacher correct you or shows you a movement, remember this and the feeling you get afterwards. The body naturally registers this and it will be stuck in your mind.

Greyphantom
03-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I agree with Soraya's post... I practice Chen style through the lineage of Chen Qing Zhou and go to classes with Chen Zheng Lei lineage and have practice with Soraya's teacher... they all have different transitional movements between postures... CQZ has a more direct and less circular movement, CZL is a bit more circular with some difference in the postures and CXW has more circular influence again with some differences in posture and transitional movement... but one thing binds them all... and thats the principles... the principles remain the same in each case and are how I can learn from such a diverse group of teachers...

Soraya's tip is a great one... one thing I was told is that you must practice every day...even if its for a little bit only... and I find that remembering the feel of my posture helps immensely...

stanton
03-29-2005, 07:59 AM
aikiman,

The style is the same (Chen) but we return to different ways of playing the form affected by body, understanding of the form, our degree of flexibility/coordination (levels of coordination) etc.

The only correct form is the one you learn from your teacher. Learn that first and absorb all yu can.
Can you play the form for 5-10x /day for 3 years?

good luck

AikiMan
03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all the sharing, I believe I will not confuse myself with different master form and movement because the main form is always the same, I will stick to my teacher and when I am more experience I can perhaps adapt to a style of my own that suit my body size best and bearing in mind what my teacher told me, you can change things but not the original form that mean Jin Kang Dao Dui is still there and also you must be able to justify in the martial application, after all Tai Chi originate as a fighting arts and has to be applicable in defence.

Greyphantom
03-31-2005, 05:29 AM
AM I dont think you will confuse yourself "with different master form and movement" because as you say "because the main form is always the same" plus my main lineage is via Chen Qing Zhou and I also attend classes with the lineage coming from Chen Zheng Lei... also when I did some lessons with a teacher with the lineage of Chen Xiao Wang we both did the form and as they were very different in terms of transitions (and on or two postures) we focused on things like Zhan Zhuang and Chansijing and the principles... still made great inroads in my learning...