PDA

View Full Version : reverse abdominal breathing

Shark
04-02-2005, 07:35 AM
i approach this particular topic with no small amount
of trepidation because i know absolutely zero about it,though i have now heard
a few conflicting views to the effect that it has no place in t'ai chi;Yang Zhen Duo (incidentally one of soraya's mentors) states "when i fajin i would not inhale" but as i understand it reverse breathing during
fajin is a combination of both inhale and exhale;some claim this technique also protects the body from injury.
would someone care to enlighten us about this often confusing and contraversial technique?
since it is also not mentioned in "the classics"
(that i am aware of),can u tell us,what is it's rightful place in t'ai chi chuan and how does one incorporate the training?

soraya
04-03-2005, 08:44 PM
It is mentioned in the classics but I don't have the book here. Probably it is outlined under dantien rotation because both of them happens together. Also different types of breathing techniques and releasing force can be found in the classics. The classics does not mention the term reverse abdominal breathing

In reverse abdominal breathing, we divide our abdomen in two parts, using our navel as a dividing line. From navel up is the upper abdomen, the part below is the lower abdomen or dantien. When we inhale, we imagine air goes into our lungs and upper abdomen, at the same time there is qi or air goes up from our lower abdoemn(dantien) as well. Therefore, our chest and upper abdomen expand, our dantien however contract when we inhale. When we exhale, the air goes out of the lungs, our chest contracts. We imagine qi that moves up into our upper abdomen now goes back down into the dantien. Therefore our upper abdomen contracts but our dantien expands.

Yang Zhen Duo was right about not inhaling during fa jing, force exertment is always accompanied by exhalation

Shark
04-04-2005, 08:13 AM
if i understand you correctly it is the dantian,then,that contracts upon inhale and expands on exhale otherwise the breathing would occur as usual?

soraya
04-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Breathing is normal, just the upper abdomen expands, the lower contracts during inhalation, during exhaltion the upper abdomen contracts, the lower expands. When you make a sound, which normally occur when you need to exert force, this happens naturally. Just try to push the door with all Tai Chi principles and make a sound when you need force and you will catch my drift