PDA

View Full Version : Stillness in motion, motion in stillness

kawan
04-19-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi,
What do you understand by this? Such a paradox :)

JLevine
04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Perhaps you have to be able to let your body be moving while your intention is still, and then switch instantly to move your intention while your body is still.

From the end of one posture to the beginning of the next, the move is already performed by the intention, and the body is carrying it out. If you enact another intention, or try to fortify the existing intention, you will act against the stillness of the mind and interfere with the motion of the body. Once you reach the focus of the posture, the fruition, you change your intent and what once was the destination becomes the origin.

This is only an idea.

Shark
04-19-2005, 09:38 AM
yang cheng fu advocated practicing "stillness within movement"
which has to do with the "look" of t'ai chi chuan as well as being part of it's martial makeup;the mind is still but the intent is ready to be set in motion;it relates to the theory of yin and yang.practice as if there is a flock of birds at your feet that you do not wish to disturb;this will train you to move while being still

soraya
04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
It is not paradox but I will try to describe it. I do know what it is, but I find it difficult to find the right words.

Stillness in movement:
It has to do with focus, e.g. when you come to the end of dan bian(single whip) and move into yun shou(cloud hands), your intent should be on cloud hands with your body carrying it out. Only a clean and calm mind(still) can do this, if you think of a heel kick or your gas bills when performing cloud hands, you have the wrong intent as described by Josh and just imagine what will happen. When my mind is not clean or still(difficult to find a right term) I found that the form will punish me by a disbalance in stepping or a less accurate movement.

Movement in stillness:
When you move slowly or do standing meditation, half of your thoughts would be on your posture or relaxation. The other half is free. When you don't think at all, your posture will be empty. When you think too much your zhan zhuang(standing meditation) will be heavy or tense. YOur internal strength will be moving when you do standing meditation, your qi will sink to the dantian and move around in your body. So there is something like a warm friendly energy moving inside when you stand still.*my personal subjective experience)

Last but not least, you will start feeling this after a certain amount of practice. Sharks suggestion of visualizing birds at your feet is excellent. During my last session with Chen YIng JUn his landlord's cat was on my feet all the time. I really tried to practice without stepping or aggravating him(the cat) and after I finished he was still there enjoying as though nothing was there. My teacher gave me a compliment on that.

tthomer
04-19-2005, 07:34 PM
For me stillness in motion is exactly what it says. When I perform tai chi in the morning in my beautiful Zen garden. There is stillness and motion all around me. I become a part of the tapestry of the morning. I perform tai chi and I feel quiet and content in my mind, yet my body is going through the form.

I hear the birds, I hear the water fountain, yet I don't listen for them. I notice the breeze in the trees and on my skin and yet I don't really focus on it, I simply take it in. I think good tai chi is like this.

Of course this can only come after you are comfortable with a form. The Chinese have a saying for this. When the form is so deep within you as to become a part of you, it is as if it were "in the bones" Then I think you can have stillness in movement and movemnet in stillness. It comes naturally.

soraya
04-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I feel the same like Troyce when practicing in Manly Lagoon. I hear the birds, smell the coriander, hear the majestic Pacific Ocean and feel the seabreeze touching my skin. But I don't focus on it and simply take it in . In French I would say:"Je l'entends mais je n'ecoute pas."I don't know whether the form is in my bones, yes it is I suppose. My main form Laojia YIlu and Xin jia pao chui. Even the Sun 73 and 42 sword(I just learnt them last year from Paul's video) give me nearly the same feeling. I hear(entendre) the scooters, dogs and joggers, less impressive, but it doesn't disturb my stillness in motion and motion in stillness. I don't focus on this and don't take it in like the beauty of nature.

Greyphantom
04-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by soraya
It is not paradox but I will try to describe it. I do know what it is, but I find it difficult to find the right words.

Stillness in movement:
It has to do with focus, e.g. when you come to the end of dan bian(single whip) and move into yun shou(cloud hands), your intent should be on cloud hands with your body carrying it out. Only a clean and calm mind(still) can do this, if you think of a heel kick or your gas bills when performing cloud hands, you have the wrong intent as described by Josh and just imagine what will happen. When my mind is not clean or still(difficult to find a right term) I found that the form will punish me by a disbalance in stepping or a less accurate movement.

Movement in stillness:
When you move slowly or do standing meditation, half of your thoughts would be on your posture or relaxation. The other half is free. When you don't think at all, your posture will be empty. When you think too much your zhan zhuang(standing meditation) will be heavy or tense. YOur internal strength will be moving when you do standing meditation, your qi will sink to the dantian and move around in your body. So there is something like a warm friendly energy moving inside when you stand still.*my personal subjective experience)

Last but not least, you will start feeling this after a certain amount of practice. Sharks suggestion of visualizing birds at your feet is excellent. During my last session with Chen YIng JUn his landlord's cat was on my feet all the time. I really tried to practice without stepping or aggravating him(the cat) and after I finished he was still there enjoying as though nothing was there. My teacher gave me a compliment on that.

This is a very good post... I think that its pretty spot on...

And I know what you mean about CYJ cats... lol...

harvey2bicks
04-20-2005, 05:38 AM
As with all these lovely littel yin/yang dichotomies it can read or applied on different levels.
This week i am mostly interpreting it this way
Stillness in motion is zhan zuang. I am still while the world/universe moves around me BUT
Motion in stillness is me doin the form and everything else is still and undestracting to my motion (i wish but its only a metaphor)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remeber whilst THE WORLD may not revolve around me, MY WORLD does. Think about it. :D

Shark
04-20-2005, 07:26 AM
allow me to add my compliments to the ones of your teacher,soraya,great post!
you've hear me say this ad infinitum but "when you can
practice without disturbing the animals...."
(most especially sharks...hah...haaaaaa)

Shark
04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
harve,your the man

harvey2bicks
04-21-2005, 01:15 AM
only with a feed of whiskey in me :D
normally i'm a small mouse called nigel

kawan
04-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the insights into their meaning :)

soraya
04-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Just to add a little out of topic. Chen Ying Jun's cat or better his landlord's is a real Tai Chi cat. CYJ practices 6 hours and his students additionally a few more hours over the cat. He is either used to it or has taken in so much qi that nothing really disturbs him(the cat). BTW, CYJ moved into his own(beautiful new) unit and there is no cat anymore, just the birds singing and occasionally the lawnmower roaring. His terrace is however spacy and serene where you can experience stillness in motion, motion in stillness

Greyphantom
04-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Soraya was trying to send you a PM but your mailbox is full...