PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi joke and false friends

soraya
05-07-2005, 09:17 PM
I am in Kuala Lumpur at present and just finished also learnt some Indonesian as I was in high school in Sydney.

It was such a fun rewarding experience. I conducted the workshop mainly in English with a few Malay sentences. Malay and Indonesian are closely related and nearly completely similar, the relationship could be described like Quebecois and Parisien French.

My policy is to relax my students and impart the complex art of Tai Chi as simple as possible. I showed the movement:"grasping the sparrows tail" with the comment that after learning "parting the wild horses manes""brush knee" along with a few other moves, this movement will be more"gampang". In INdonesian gampang means easy or relaxed. but in Malay it means when a woman easily invites a man to spend the night with her. The group which consisted of 3/4 men suddenly couldn't stop laughing. Obviously the group understood me that I could easily seduce a man through Tai Chi..........loI.......hehehe....hahaha

Paul
Have you ever tried to conduct a workshop in this country? People are enthusiastic and open-minded.

Dr. Paul Lam
05-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Soraya so glad you are having a great time in Malaysia, i like the country and its people very much. but no i haven't conduct a workshop there yet.

kawan
05-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Soraya,
Just curious why the latter half of your post subject said false friends.

Shark
05-08-2005, 11:17 AM
meanings of foreign words can be decieving especially asian words,all you have to do is mispronounce them a bit or get a tone or two wrong and you have a totally different meaning.foreign people can also be decieving at times;gampang sounds a little close to gangbang for comfort don't you think?
sounds like something left over from interaction w/ the G.Is."hey baby,wanna gampang?"
i've never given much thought to t'ai chi being seductive although i think the female malaysian dancers definitely are;i would offer that it's the personality behind the art that makes it seductive,or not.
At any rate the only one i know who could seduce me performing t'ai chi would be Zhang zi yi.(have you seen "house of flying daggers"? "crouching tiger" knockoffs are getting tiresome but this one's beautifully shot;and of course SHE is almost too beautiful for words;who wouldn't want to fall in love and have babies with her)
i read somewhere that in the old days of China t'ai chi was used by single men to get in touch with their feminine side;(take that with however many grains of salt you wish)
it must be so rewarding for you and Dr. Lam that you get to travel to all these
exotic destinations;btw how did your newfound friends fare during the tsunami?
AND like kawan i would like clarification on the "false friends" thing,although i assume you mean deception?
(ramble ramble,blah blah,sorry)
take care ,soraya

soraya
05-08-2005, 07:55 PM
False friends is an idiom which actually mean words which sound similar but have totally different meanings. It could be the same word with the same spelling in the same language or different spelling in a different language.

quay and key: both English with a different spelling and meaning

gift in English means a present
gift in German means poison

eng in German means narrow
eng in Dutch means scary

pantat in Indonesian mean buttocks
pantat in Malay means the female genital part and very offensive
The Indonesian word is not particularly negative but not said in decent company either

Greyphantom
05-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by soraya
False friends is an idiom which actually mean words which sound similar but have totally different meanings. It could be the same word with the same spelling in the same language or different spelling in a different language.

quay and key: both English with a different spelling and meaning....

False freinds can also mean letters which apper the same as for eg in eng but have a different sound as in Russian... P is a good eg as in Russian its actually an r sound...

also Soraya I can remember when Quay was pronounced kway... and Rodeo was ro dee oh and not ro day oh... (does this mean I am getting old... :D )

kawan
05-09-2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks. Just learnt a new idiom :)

drlip
05-15-2005, 05:31 AM
I guarantee nobody here in Arkansas would ever be caught saying "ro-day-oh" unless they grew up speaking Spanish!

Richard Livingston, Redneck

Shark
05-15-2005, 10:33 AM
hmmmm,grandfather and a redneck;(i'll remember to try not to get you upset)