PDA

View Full Version : Learned Chen style Lao Jia... yay me...

Greyphantom
05-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Hi there all... well I have finally learned all the movements in the Chen Style Taijiquan Lao Jia Yi Lu... all 75 of them... I finished the last one on Saturday 14 May 05... thats exactly 10 months to the day... Heres a little bit of the journey...

Why I took it up - I first looked at Taiji because I have been weightlifting/building for alot of years and thought that I needed to find balance... since I had been working the outside for so long I needed to start on the inside... I also needed to address some issues spiritually (read that as Emotionally) and mentally (again regarding emotions)... I had always viewed Taiji as a sort of new age hippy calming thing and have a friend who is right into it so thought I would research and then start trying it out...

My Findings - Wow was I wrong... after loads of research and looking around I discovered that it was an ancient MA no less and that it had a great history... I also discovered that there were many different styles with 5 main ones... I started to buy books to read (some are the instructional kind) and searched for teachers...

Starting the Journey - I first started learning Cheng Man Ching style (via book) and enjoyed it but then I found a book on Chen style by Mark Chen and read some of it... it seemed to me to be more what I was after so I started learning that (again from a book) and searched out a couple of teachers (which initially are really hard to find (especially the good ones) and once you have found one or two they seem to be everywhere... well except for near you..)..

Changes - Since starting Taiji I have noticed some pretty great changes in all aspects of my life... Spiritually I am not so quick to lose my temper, I am more calm in general and I look at things with a more contemplative view... Mentally I am stronger and more secure, I dont tend to swing to the extremes and am more thoughtful... Physically I have improved in coordination, balance and awareness (awareness goes for spiritual and mental too) and I have learned to relax more and recognise tension better... I have also found that my body awareness has increased considerably and this also goes for spatial awareness and awareness of things around me...

Where do I go from here...??? - Well I am just going to consolidate Lao Jia for a while and then look into starting Er Lu and/or sword form... I have also started learning about the Tao and am reading loads and learning heaps...

I absolutely love practicing Taiji and love learning about the classics, history and everything... the Tao is proving to be the same... the path stretches ever on... and what a journey...

AikiMan
05-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Hello Greyphantom

Congratulation on the completion of your Lao Jia Yi Lu, I too should be finishing within the next 2 week or so, I am also experience good things about tai chi and learning much from it, I also try to tell others about the goodness of tai chi but seem not convincing enough, not sure why? I have some church friends who now suffering from osteoporosis and other health problems, I told them it had help me a lot, they seem to be reluctant, partly they are my church friends and many of them felt that TC is link with Taoism, personally I have did a lot of reading of tai chi and am able to explain my conviction of my Christian faith with regards to my learning of TC. but anyway I believe I will have the same feeling as you when I finished my Lao Jia Yi Lu :)

Greyphantom
05-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Good stuff re learning the last few movements AM... and keep trying to convince them... it took me a while to take it up but by crikey it is so worth it...

Dahlis Roy
05-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi and Congratulations on your journeys,

Body-mind-spirit are united in Tai Chi!

Church friends may be reluctant to come. Suggest Tai Chi is not a religion. It is a health balancing exercise. They can see how much Tai Chi has helped you with your better health and attitude.

I had a Pentacostal Christian in my class. He told me that he found Tai Chi completely compatible with Christianity! That is great!

Enjoy your paths climbing the Tai Chi mountain.

Dahlis

soraya
05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Dahlis Roy
Hi and Congratulations on your journeys,

Body-mind-spirit are united in Tai Chi!

Church friends may be reluctant to come. Suggest Tai Chi is not a religion. It is a health balancing exercise. They can see how much Tai Chi has helped you with your better health and attitude.

I had a Pentacostal Christian in my class. He told me that he found Tai Chi completely compatible with Christianity! That is great!

Enjoy your paths climbing the Tai Chi mountain.

Dahlis

Sorry Dahlis, Tai Chi is a martial art and not merely a health exercise. However, it contains certain body, mind and spirit exercises which would make it possible for a person who is not particularly interested in fighting applications to obtain maximum health benefits.

I never had any church friend who is reluctant to come. It depends on the level of instruction and how it is taught. The roots lie in the Tao of course but it is very compatible with the teaching of Christianity.

Good posture, focus, relaxation, teaching the body to be soft and able to come apart but when necessary can act in unison is also an important trait in martial arts.