PDA

View Full Version : TAi Chi for health professionals

soraya
05-31-2005, 02:45 AM
Paul

I have just read your newsletter and am quite impressed by Allison's effort. Yes, I have been teaching Tai Chi todiabetes educators, physical and occupational therapists e.g. TCA, very often the first 6 moves first. Alternatively I plan to teach reeling silk qi gong by GM Chen which include stepping, gentle lumbar and hand circles.

My other concern has been inspired by one of the Chen threads where Aikiman asks a question whether Chen style could become a danger to people with arthritis. YOur answer was that it also depends how much the doctor understands about Tai Chi, Chen style and which form of Chen style.

I plan to teach the basics of Tai Chi for doctors, not to enable them to become teachers but to impart a certain knowledge of TAi Chi and the different forms and styles, so that they will be able to give qualified advice to their patients. Since doctors also give their approval for a TAi Chi course I believe this should be the primary objective for GP's.

What do you think and how shall a design such a course?

carolinew
05-31-2005, 10:55 AM
From a student and patient, it would be nice if more health care professinals understood tai chi. My own GP is very busy and does't seem to have time for anything. Appointments are very short as he has so many patients on his books.

A number of my neighbours who share the same GP have asked for a gentle form of exercise, or even physiotherapy for help with medical conditions (including arthritis), and he seems very against it.

Common sense says gentle exercise helps things like mobility. All I can do is point them in the direction of this site, gather information and ask for a second opinion.

If it were possible, I would encourage medical students to learn Tai Chi or Yoga, but I realise there is a lot more training needed to become a health care professional

Dr. Paul Lam
06-01-2005, 01:57 AM
both Soraya and Carol seem to ask me the same question... in a way.

yes i talk to thousand of doctors, physiotherapist and other health professionals. my approaches to two things.

1. to inform health professional re tai chi:

i have wrote an article published by "Complimentary Therapy" which did this: summarised below:
what is tai chi
how does it work + medical evidence
how to prescribe it - three simple steps
let us try it.

i will re write a sumary of this and publish it for the next month's newsletter and on the article page.
the last part "let us try it" is done after question from audience and i take people through three or four movements from Tai Chi for Arthritis to give them a taste of.

2. to teach health professionals tai chi for their own benefits and also enable them to teach patients some form of introductory tai chi.

like you i teach the first six movements of tai chi for arthritis or the Basic Six. I teach them both sides, and introduce the video/DVD and the book "Overcoming Arthritis" as the resources.

Hope this helps

drlip
06-15-2005, 03:53 AM
I wonder if there are enough of us docs and other health professionals who are already playing tai chi and studying it for health benefits to warrant organizing for a meeting somewhere to discuss all these issues?

Richard Livingston, MD

Dr. Paul Lam
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
i have been in the one week tai chi workshop in Florida last few days, and it is still going on. amoung approximately 100 people, there are five MDs and many PHD doctorates. more than the % of MDs in the population.

i am very encouraged by doctors who are interested in tai chi for their patients and themselves.

BillT
06-15-2005, 12:00 PM
The National Association of Social Workers annual convention was held here (Baltimore, MD) a few years ago. A "Round Table Discussion" on Tai Chi and Qiqong in the health professions was scheduled for a noon session. A round table and about a dozen chairs were provided. About 60 masters and doctoral level clinicians and administrators showed up. Some were doing work including research with Tai Chi, but we have not formally collaborated since. Bill T.

soraya
06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
German Chenxiaowang association has about over 50 MD's and more medical students. Doctors invite teachers to teach in their practice

stanton
06-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I went to a clinical training programme last week and there were many MDs and PhD using elements of taijiquan and qigong (yoga, pilates, guided imagery, etc) in their private practice as clients are asking for other means of handling their pain, depression and the like.

Although the arena may appear to be small, the trend is catching on for people to look to self care as a positive tool for quality of life and psychological well being.