PDA

View Full Version : Yang Zhenduo clips

Marc Heyvaert
06-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Hello,

I've put up 2 clips of a master class by Yang Zhenduo on my site. I have posted them before. This is another chance to download them.

Marc

http://users.pandora.be/taiji/Videoclips.htm

Melanie
06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Marc

Thank you for the great clips. It is much easier to understand than much writing on the forum. I do understand a little Chinese from my time as I went to school in Chenjiagou. Among others YZD emphasized on leading the whole body and the heel being rooted on the ground with the toes turning.

I think there have been wording problems which usually occur in online communication where everything just relies on wording. My mother learnt from YZD who said that the power lies in the heel and the heel should be firmly rooted. In this case when mentioning pivot on the heel we actually meant rrelying on the heel root while the toe is actively turning. YZD emphasized how important heel rooting is and that the center should turn with the toes following...........

Melanie
06-10-2005, 09:32 PM
With the push, YZD explains the whole circle. Although he didn't mention the waist, his body clearly moves from the waist in a circle. He demonstrated what the strike looks like if you only act from your arm and how the whole motion works when you keep the circle in mind. My mother said he taught in the great hall of his institute in Xanxi province.

Marc Heyvaert
06-11-2005, 03:57 AM
I'm glad you like the clips. For me they were something of an eye-opener. When I doe the transition now from 'an' to SW I don't turn the foot the whole way in like YZD does, but I could do it. Before seeing the clip I couldn't really do it. I work for some time on the turn and found that the reason why was because my leg wasn't completely 'empty' and therefore I could not relax the kua...there was no weight on the leg but it wasn't really empty. I hope you understand what I mean...It made me understand that 'full' and 'empty' is about more than weight distribution alone.

Marc

kawan
06-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Marc,
Great clips. Do you have any of YZD doing the 'Turn around lotus kick" from
"Retreat to ride tiger" ?

Marc Heyvaert
06-13-2005, 05:11 AM
Hello kawan,

I have the Yang Zhenduo dvd on the long form. So I expect that part to be in it. But in the masterclass he didn't go into that bit. I will try to put up the clip with the lotuskick tonight.

I' ve had a look at the entire 3rd section. There are some obvious differences in the way the movements are performed. Nothing sensiational though, everything as expected, e.g. the way 'single whip' is done, the direction of some of the 'pengs', the stepping with less rocking back and forward, etc. 'Lady throws the shuttle' is quite different and so is the 'lotus kick'. In the choreography sequence I see only one difference and that is right after 'fan through back' after turning in the YZD form there is a 'white snake spits its tongue' before doing 'banlanchui' and 'grasp the bird's tail'. In the 88-form, there is some sort of backhand punch to the corner and no trace from the 'white snake'. Have a look at
http://www.taiji.be/Fotoboek/Yang88_5.htm
It's movement 68...

The clip with Yang Jun is up

www.sctaiji.org/Clips/lotuskickYJ.mpg (8 Mb)

The clip with YZD is 80 Mb's !, I'm uploading it now. But it will be

www.sctaiji.org/Clips/lotuskickYZD.mpg

I only managed to upload partially, but the essential bit is there (50Mb's)

Enjoy

Marc

fourquet
06-13-2005, 11:50 AM
thanks a lot for those very valuable clips
a lots interesting to watch :)

kawan
06-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Marc,
Thanks for the help with the 3rd segment and uploading the great clips.

Shark
06-16-2005, 05:33 AM
thanks marc,you know,i have the "taste of china" vids but he doesn't go into much detail at all regarding
the posture positioning and transitions,needless to say i was pretty dissapointed especially since they weren't cheap;most of the 108 demonstration was performed by yang jun;
just a suggestion,i would clarify for newcomers that when you say
YZD demonstrates push,that it is the push from brush knee and push (or strike) not "an";

Marc Heyvaert
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi 'Shark',

Thanks for the suggestion. I generally don't associate 'an' with push because for me the essential part of the movement is absorbing and 'pushing' down. But I see what you mean...

I have also a copy of the 'taste of China video's in my collection. Yes, it was a disapointment to see that YZD didn't demonstrate the whole form...and yes, they were really expensive. But the booklet with translation of YZD's explanations was a definite +.

I think that the DVD from which I took the clips is very interesting. Good material, and widely available now. But there is more out there. You probably know that YZD and YJ are contested by some. Are they the present day standard bearers of the Yang style. Some people argue against it. I don't take sides in this discussion. Yang style has probably become tot diversified for one school or branch of YCF's lineage to control it all. Also, a lot of the YZD-forms are very terse, as if they have been simplified, as if some things are still hidden. If you compare it to traditional forms by other performers there is sometimes a big difference, even if they all claim to be in YCF's lineage.

BTW, I use www.chinafrominside.com (Jarek) as my main source for videomaterial.

Regards

Marc

Shark
06-16-2005, 07:00 PM
thanks marc,i see what you mean too,sorry;we danced around that subject some years ago about the YZD lineage;soraya knows way more about this with some measure of accuracy because she studied with him but yes,Zhen Duo
was such a small child when Cheng Fu died it's doubtful that he could have learned anything from him;he cites ban hou and jian hou claiming he is in a direct line as lineage holder but who knows for sure;i'll tell you one thing though that soraya will probably attest to and that is that people claim that his style contains some real power and i believe it;my teachers maggie newman and lawrence galante believe he's a genuine practitioner;Is he handing down the Chengfu form?.....eeeeeeeeehn...
thanks again for the clips and website referral,keep regaling us when you can with your great posts!

stanton
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Marc,

That site you mentioned is excellent. It also gives, as you see, a presentation of all sides and the resources are spot on!