PDA

View Full Version : practicing from the left or right?

Shark
06-10-2005, 08:40 PM
well,here we go again....another steal from the Q&A section.
i've read,(a couple of times now),about cheng man-ching admonishing to practice only from the right,something obout the placement of the organs in the body and that practicing from the left will not do you as much good and is "potentially" harmful,(really not sure about this last one) i know accomplished taichi-ers that play the postures from any direction,foward, back,sideways,
well.....waddya think?

bobo711
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Shark:

As i was taught, TC is a binary exercise--whatever we do on one side we do on the other. It seems to me if we only exercise one side the muscles on the opposite side get cheated. Since TC is also good for our balance, wouldn't it make sense to practice from both sides? I also feel that learning a form from both sides will make our overall TC performance better. Take care and best wishes.

Bob

jlm
06-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Funnily enough I was reading a book last night, (yes, another one), called Searching for the Way by Nigel Sutton. (Another excellent book by the way). In it he comments about the fact the Cheng 37 step form is "lop sided", but the answer was that Cheng said the organs of the body are not equally balanced on left and right, and it was a mistake to think the forms should be done equally on both sides.

redback79
02-21-2006, 07:56 AM
I have been wondering about handedness in tai chi practice quite a lot. I did consider that the heart is on the left side of the body, so the internal organs are not symmetrical. I'm fine with that.
However, most people are right-handed, whereas I'm left-handed, and have been wondering if the forms are biased for the majority of the population, or the masters that developed the form.

carolinew
02-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I was taught to go from right to left, but if I'm using a video tend to go from left to right.

carolinew
02-21-2006, 11:56 AM
I was taught to go from right to left, but if I use the video I go from left to right.

That's a thought, wave hands like clouds clockwise and anti clockwise!

dorsal
02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
interesting caroline,oddly enough that's one symetrical movement that could be played from left to right as well as the opposite.but it's really a side step not a directional so i'm not sure that counts!
good insight redback,it's possible that has a lot to do with it
Jim,thanks so much for clearing that up;you don't know how long
i've been puzzling over what cheng actually said and the vague answers i've recieved,(perhaps understandably from students of his)

bme
02-24-2006, 10:11 PM
My teacher and some videos of other teachers I saw have the teacher go from left to right while facing the students like a mirror thus the students in turn follow the moves doing the opposite direction.
So if the teacher does it both ways it should be okay.

Marc Heyvaert
02-25-2006, 12:36 AM
The 24- form has already more symmetry in it than the traditional forms, especially as you learn to do the all important 'Grasp the bird's tail'-movement on both sides.

The 8-form has all movements on both sides (except cross hands), the 16-form has some less obvious movements 'on the other side' (White crane, needle at sea bottom, flash back, cloud hands). All this is excellent practice. But...there is so much work involved in getting the positions right as they are normally executed that I think it can not be a good goal to start learning to do you usual form the other way round.

As for the effect on health, etc. I wouldn't know. I can't see it to be harmfull though. I could accept that certain benefits linked to certain positions just don't happen when you do it on the other side, but harmful???

Regards

fourquet
02-25-2006, 09:40 PM
and what for left-handed poeples????

they should lear the set in opposite way???

bme
02-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Marc Heyvaert
The 24- form has already more symmetry in it than the traditional forms, especially as you learn to do the all important 'Grasp the bird's tail'-movement on both sides.

The 8-form has all movements on both sides (except cross hands), the 16-form has some less obvious movements 'on the other side' (White crane, needle at sea bottom, flash back, cloud hands). All this is excellent practice. But...there is so much work involved in getting the positions right as they are normally executed that I think it can not be a good goal to start learning to do you usual form the other way round.

As for the effect on health, etc. I wouldn't know. I can't see it to be harmfull though. I could accept that certain benefits linked to certain positions just don't happen when you do it on the other side, but harmful???

Regards

Where can I view/download videos of 8 and 16 form?

fourquet
02-25-2006, 10:19 PM
go to this place

www.taiji.de

enjoy

Marc Heyvaert
02-26-2006, 12:18 AM
I have also clips of these forms on my website. The links are on this page:

http://www.taiji.be/articles.php?lng=nl&pg=315

The text is in Dutch but the links are in bold type somewhere half way down the page, so they are easy to find.

There are also clips of the 88-form (3rd paragraph), the 40-form (4th paragraph), modern taijidao and 32-form taijijian.

Marc

bme
02-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by fourquet
go to this place

www.taiji.de

enjoy

16 form is there but no 8 form?

fourquet
02-26-2006, 04:45 AM
the 8 form is also called the 10 form if i ma not wrong

so the 10 form are here :)