PDA

View Full Version : Types of chi

Pyran
07-30-2005, 08:10 AM
I've been reading a book by Paul Crompton called 'The Elements of Tai Chi' and a chapter on Chi Kung has got me thinking.

I was vaguely aware that are several types of chi. Paul Crompton mentions this fact in his book but doesn't elaborate (because of complexity!).

When we pactice Tai Chi/Chi Kung what type or types of chi are we cultivating?

Regards

Pyran

soraya
07-30-2005, 02:38 PM
There are many types of qi and I'll try to elaborate it. However, it is more complex than I can write here.

Yuan qi = before heaven or innate qi, heridetary and can't be changed
Gu qi = acquired qi or after heaven qi, derived from food, qi of the spleen
kong qi = from the air and the qi of the lung
zong qi = qi of the chest, gathered from gu qi and kong qi
Zhen qi = normal qi
ying qi = nourishes organs and tisue
wei qi = defensive qi where most martial artists work at. It protects you against external disturbances like receiving a strike or breaking a board, blowing a candle. It is in the skin on the surface of the body. therefore Tai Chi clothes should be loose.
zongfu zhi qi= flows through organs
jing luo zhi qi =flows through meridians. Tai Chi and acupuncture stimulates this flow

Dr. Paul Lam
07-30-2005, 11:48 PM
if it is too complex for a book, i suppose it would be too complex for the forum... however my article "Qi and Quan" may answer your question
http://www.taichiproductions.com/articles/display.php?articleid=12

fourquet
07-31-2005, 02:17 PM
is different got different feeling???

soraya
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I think qi is different in different people, perceived differently at different times by different people. As for myself, I can feel a different qi on different days in different environment. A different qi leaves my body during a strike and a different qi sinks to the dantien. I learnt all those qi in TCM theory and some of it makes sense to me.

I intend to attend a cooking course based on yin and yang. Different foods have different qi but i don't know exactly what. I think many green vegetable and citrus fruits contain a lot of gu qi ........It is said in feng shui that certain buildings produce more qi. A building with many angles produce a lot of qi and it is also said that Sydney Opera House with the many angles has given lots of qi to Sydney. Many trees and greenery provides much qi and I can really feel it when I practice in quarantine station with the plants and animals....