View Full Version : Hello, need a little help.

10-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Thank you for this site. I was glad to find it, and hope you can get me started on the right step.

I am a male, 43, overweight. Have a 3 level spine fusion, from S-1 to L-3, with rods. Still have some pain, but I live with it. I had 3 spine operations in the past 4 years, all lower back. This is what I ended up with. I also have scar tissue issue causing me nerve pain too.
I also have CAD, and just had 3 stints put in about a month ago. I am in cardiac rehab now. But was release to do spine PT. I still have pain there, but am on bata blocker. Its a mess in there I hear.
I have other issues, but nothing that would effect Tai Chi preactice I do not thing. My knees while worn a bit do not give me any real problems. Hips seem to be ok. Some weight related problems with both, but I get along ok, its just starting.
I have a bit of shoulder, and some elbow problem. Nothing in the bone however, all soft tissue. Feet are ok most of the time.

Ok now, having set up te question with the information, here it is.
I know a little about the 3 main styles of Tai hi. Yang, Chen, and Sun. Mainly from reading, not from doing. I have doing some martial arts threw the years, and done some bit of reading. But my main in interest was always Tai Chi, but due to reason that I can not get into now, I was not able to do much with it in my area. I am interested in getting some DVDs, or tapes to learn some forms from, but not really sure what style would be the best to learn from such a media. I had been interested in Sun style, but I got a tape from a guy who made it at Yang Martial Arts Association, and it blew me away. It was just moved around so much, I had no real pount of reference. So I kind of got lost.

So I am kind of lost at thing point. What in you alls view would be the letter style to learn for me 1. Medical situation. and 2. Mannar that I will need to learn.

I am sorry for being so long winded, but I wanted to give you guys who knew what you were doing enough information to give me some help.
I would be grateful for any, and all help anyone cares to give me.

Please recommend anything to me that you wish.

I thank you.


Dr. Paul Lam
10-26-2005, 11:10 PM

thanks for your questions

at FAQ this answer re back problem may help:

and this one about arthritis

let me know if I can assist further.

after reading the above answer and haven your doctor's clearance, i think tai chi for arthritis program would suit you best. you can find out more about it

10-26-2005, 11:13 PM

For the beginning I would suggest Dr. Lam's Tai Chi for Backpain, based on Sun style,which he designed esp. for orthopedic problems. It contains qi gong which is very consistent with modern day physiotherapy, opportunities to do it sitting or lying(not only for the disabled) and explanation of some martial applications. If you really would like to learn tAi CHi as a martial art, I'm afraid you will need a GOOD teacher. Dr. Lam's tapes are the best for beginners, clear explanation of the moves, front and backview

My teacher Chenxiaowang's beginner videos are also easy to learn, describing the energy path in a very simple manner. Chen style stretches your tendons well due to the spiral,twisitng and twining movements, gives a gentle massage to your inner organs esp. the heart.

10-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Tai Chi for BAckpain is the same short form Sun style like Tai Chi for Arthritis. It just contains different teaching methods, sitting,lying,more qi gong, more martial explanation. It has more information too and we are sometimes worried that the amount of information will overwhelm you. Just do slowly, in my opinion it is more useful than TCA(Tai Chi for arthritis)

10-26-2005, 11:53 PM
I thank you both for the reply.

I do have both Drs ok to do this.

I have been interested in the Sun style, and feel that it will fit me better. It sounds like you all have done a good job putting the tapes together.

If you would, please give me the tapes that you recommend in the order that you recommend. (DVD would be good too).
I like information, so thats a good thing to me.

Thank you both once again for the help.


10-27-2005, 04:04 AM
Hi Rick

This is my personal opinion. If I were you and of what you have written. I would buy Tai Chi for Arthritis, but I would also buy Tai Chi for back Pain. Both are based on Sun Style, but from what you have said I think there is relevent information in each which would help you. Link to DVD's/Video https://www.taichiproductions.com/shop/product.php?category=1

I would also start of by doing seated Tai chi first.
It also might be worth you checking this site to see if there is any Instructors in your area link to Instructors of both TCA & TCB


Again these are my personal sugestions

All the best


10-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Dr. Lam requires TCA certificate for anybody who would like to certify for TCB. It is exactly the same set with different medical information and teaching methods. It is easier to learn the form from the TCA video but some of my students could learn from the TCB video very quickly. Also when you have done martial arts,many movements will be familiar to you.

Dr. Paul Lam
10-29-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree Tai Chi for Arthritis and/or Tai Chi for Back Pain would suit you.