PDA

View Full Version : Commonalities between Tai Chi and fencing

soraya
07-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Fencing is very often applied in major companies, very similar to tai Chi. The goal of this is to improve communication. You have your face behind the mask, there is no hierarchy, we are all equal.

I enjoyed a workshop with some good fun instructors. It reminded very much of Tai Chi sword fighting and although I never had any experience, many movements came natural to me and my reflexes were out of subconsciousness.

Sword contact to feel the incoming force, absorb, redirect or parry, find a gap and attack. Sometimes the parry is continued into an attack with the same movement. When the opponent moves forward, you don't push forward because we will get attacked and injured. We adapt, move backward, parry, listen to the incoming force and find a gap again.

Is there any other member here who practices fencing next to Tai Chi? I also found out that many doctors practice fencing

stanton
07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
soraya,

yes. i am a former fencer and i find many similarities with taijiquan push hands practice. Foil training help my jian practice because the saber was too slash and burn with its exectuion and heavy and brute force where the former was more to my liking-subtle, but direct.

Shark
07-11-2004, 04:56 AM
always been interested in taking up fencing,nice to know the two are compatible

Gohanssj
07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Jeet Kune Do uses fencing footwork :D and I have found heaps of similarities between Tai Chi and JKD and fencing.