PDA

View Full Version : spices and health

metal_ox
07-18-2004, 11:10 PM
i found this in an article by Diane Welland, M.S.,R.D. in Environmental Nutrition July 2004.

"cinnamon to control diabetes? so suggests recent research from pakistan, in concert with the u.s. dept of agriculture's human nutrition research center in maryland, in which 60 adults w/ type 2 diabetes took one of 3 different amounts of cinnamon (equivalent to 1/4 to one teaspoon) or a placebo daily for 40 days. the people taking the cinnamon pills reduced their blood glucose levels by 18% to 29%. researchers think polyphenol compounds in the cinnamon activate enzymes that increase the sensitivity of insulin, improving the availability of glucose.
cinnamon's potent antioxidant properties may also have implications for heart disease. in the same study, total blood cholesterol levels dropped 13% to 26%, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol decreased 7% to 27% and triglycerides fell 23% to 30%."

metal_ox
07-18-2004, 11:19 PM
also:

"curry has the highest antioxidant activity of all the spices because of curcumin,"says Nader G. Abraham, Ph.D.,professor of pharmacology at new york medical college in valhalla, ny. curcumin, a phenol found in the spice turmeric,...
Abraham presented research at this spring's american physiological society conference in washington d.c., suggesting that curry may protect the brain against oxidative damage that could contribute to the development of cancer, alzheimer's disease, dementia and aging."

metal_ox
07-18-2004, 11:28 PM
and

"chemical analysis by the u.s. dept of agriculture has found that just 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano equals the antioxidant activity in 1 medium apple. among more than a dozen culinary herbs analyzed in a Norwegian study, oregano ranked number 1 in antioxidant power."

"rosemary contains the phytonutrient carnosol, known to exhibit
antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticarcinogenic activity. studies suggest that rosemary may protect against skin, breast and lung cancers and may even guard against heart disease by inhibiting cholesterol oxidation."

stanton
07-19-2004, 07:10 AM
it sounds great but most of the points are in isolation and there must be synthesis for any benefit.

Curry as an example, for pharmacodynamic action is well document but diabetes (type II) occurs frequently in Asian Indians.
Cinnamon is also wonderful but that does not mean one takes cinnamon and problems are solved. Far from it, as always, one has to address diet (type), physical activity level and other factors.

Just a reminder that in a clinical trial setting, people are monitored so that they follow their regimen. In a phase 1 setting, they are 'cooped up' as it were so compliance "may" be exaggerated (captive audience) though representative of benefit who follow through with their prescribed orders.

soraya
07-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Metal

Please view my comments on clinical trials under Tai chi and Acupuncture in the "Ask Dr. Lam".

Germany has a long tradition of spices, herbs and medical use due to historical history documentation evidence. Commision E is a special comission under the health Funds which deals with the still unproven or herbs under research

stanton
07-19-2004, 11:37 AM
soraya,

Took some CE about Commission E and the monographs were quite informative as there were about 15-20 main plants/herbs that showed ADME activity and the admonition not to mix with prescribed medications.

metal_ox
07-19-2004, 04:33 PM
stanton i totally understand there must be synthesis. i think physical, mental and spiritual aspects need to be address in healing. i also think clinical trials are needed. i posted this only because i found it of intrest. i did not mean for anyone to start using these spices to cure disorders they may have. also if anyone is on drug therapy please talk to your doctor about any spices or herbs you might be thinking of using or are already using.

soraya nice link in the Tai chi and Acupuncture thread. please post more links of intrest you may find. also if you know of any links to clinical trial or scientific studies with acupuncture or tai chi i would love to check them out.

i feel much better when i do tai chi. why? is it because i want tai chi to help? or because i expect tai chi to work? does the movement of tai chi massage my liver breaking up the fat and forcing it out in the blood stream? does it open the liver channel allowing more chi to enter the liver? all of the above? all food for thought.

Melanie
07-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Please search "google" with following keywords:isolate active ingredients, planta tota, Tai Chi clinical trials(not all at once)
Visit a library with the medical faculty and ask for cochrane databases or journal references. You can become a day visitor in a special library at a medical faculty or hospital

Thomas
07-20-2004, 01:55 AM
..."does the movement of tai chi massage my liver breaking up the fat and forcing it out in the blood stream? does it open the liver channel allowing more chi to enter the liver? all of the above?"

Metal-Ox, two words; pu'er-tea and carbs...that will get your liver going for sure. Pu'er is considered to have fat-releasing properties, although carbohydrates are needed in the process.

Dr. Jürgen Weihofen has written a book on the subject in German, but I am not sure if it is available in English.

stanton
07-20-2004, 07:20 AM
..."does the movement of tai chi massage my liver breaking up the fat and forcing it out in the blood stream? does it open the liver channel allowing more chi to enter the liver? all of the above?"

NOTE: Taijiquan+frequency+duration of activity will accomplish all of the above as stated. At what level does this action occur? The 5 min/day as some state is insufficient. The exact frequency and duration is unknown keepin gin mind some people may need more activity than others.

The ACSM exercise prescription for exercise (generally and depending on degree of health) is about 45-60 minutes 2-3x day, 5-6 days /week. I added my own time to this prescription because I believe that thier schedule is minimal exercise.
Please check out the ACSM for those who may not know what I am referring to regarding the frequency and duration of physical exercise. Intensity does not and should not count because it may be potentially not so good.

metal_ox
07-20-2004, 10:14 AM
thanks everybody

Melanie, good idea. makes me think of an old saying "becareful what you ask for cause you just might get it. ;)

Thomas, i looked up Dr. Jürgen Weihofen. everything i found was in german, but i did find some info on pu'er-tea.

stanton, the ACSM site was way cool.