PDA

View Full Version : Yang Style Saber

BillT
07-27-2004, 12:29 PM
I've been trying to learn the Yang style saber from a video. The author often extends the knee of his lead leg well beyond his toes in the bow stance. Is this correct, or is it more correct to use a bow stance as in the Yang empty-hand form, with the knee above the foot in the lead leg?

Thanks, Bill

stanton
07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
It is best to follow the Yang style format in concept and principle. I intiially had the opportunity to learn from a 'not so correct teacher" so I held my tongue, learned from him and incorporated correct principles per Yang style. The knee should not go beyond the toe (aesthetics) vs martial where extension maybe the norm.

bobo711
07-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Bill:

According to Dr. Lam extending the knee past the toes could be a dangerous practice. He always puts emphasis on this point in his workshops as well as his tapes. To be safe I would take his advice since I consider him the expert on these matters. Once the knee is damaged your training could be placed on hold and it could affect not only your training, but your total well-being, in the future. Good luck with your training and take care. Hope this is some help to you.

Bob

soraya
07-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Not only Dr. Lam, many other videos and teachers advice against knee bending beyond the toe. Chenxiaowang, Tu Ky Lam, Jan Silberstorff, their many students who partly come from the medical field. I cam across an old video by Joshua Grant where he drew an arrow for knee alignment

soraya
07-27-2004, 11:59 PM
On Dr. Lam's video he showed a perpendicular line between knee and about before the toe. If you say don't extend beyond the toe it could be understood as OK when just extending to the toe. Better say align your knee above the ankle and still be able to see the toes. Follow the foot wherever it goes and don't bend forward or backward. This can cause serious damage to the complicated knee structures.

Master Chen and his disciples, Volker JUng, Joshua grant have discovered this and stated on their videos