PDA

View Full Version : porque?

Shark
08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Dr. Lam started this topic many times before we were hacked so i thought i'd attempt a restart.
I practice t'ai chi because it makes me feel good.
it's also a secondary hobby of mine.
Why do you all practice t'ai chi?
self defence?
self cultivation mabe?
what?
(btw feel free to express yourselves.one friend i had said he wanted to connect with the spiritual;another said he wanted to improve his golf game!!;any reason's a good one)

bobo711
08-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Shark,

I practice tai chi for my own well-being, as well as to stay sharp for my students I'm teaching. Tai Chi has been a Godsend for me--helping in so many positive ways in my life!! I'm now at the stage of my life where it is more important to help others, rather than myself. I get great pleasure in the fact that I'm doing something to help people develop and grow, while at the same time improving their health. For me my beloved art is a win-win situation. Best wishes to you and to all of our great group here as we grow together by sharing tai chi with others.

Bob

Greyphantom
08-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Well I am learning for a variety of reasons.. I lift weights and to gain some balance I thought it would be a good idea to train the inner as well as the outer as a friend is into taiji it has been in the back of my mind for a while... plus I also needed some balance in my life and taiji is providing good instruction in balance... now I find that I am learning because it is very enjoyable as well as providing so many benefits along with the above...

soraya
08-06-2004, 02:11 AM
When i present TC to the novice i introduce it as follows:

Tai Chi is martial art, moving meditation and therapeutic exercise in one. The goal is efficiency in moving, actions and thinking. Naturally this results in better life quality and health. I live what i preach.

Personally it helped me in nearly everything, overcoming personal issues, job, daily tasks such as kitchenwork, garden work, sports etc. Me too practice weight lifting and power training to achieve a better workout on individual muscles. I also play tennis, have been a former competitive figure skater and love dancing

carolinew
08-26-2004, 06:59 AM
I practice for the enjoyment first of all, but it also helps to keep me mobile and healthy. It is there if I have a problem and I want time out from worrying. If I have a problem it relaxes me enough to ask for help when I need it and gives me something to do when everything else is done. Keeps me out of trouble too!

soraya
10-25-2004, 10:37 PM
I relived this thread because i thought i was quite exotic between all these people who would like to cure an illness, including Dr. Lam.

I started Tai Chi with my uncle Victor Lim, a student of Yang Shou Hou. This was family tradition, I liked it and it did have to do with family prestige and to enhance my physical and mental performance. I competed in figure skating, i liked this but this was beyond prestige, it was about the money and fame.

Well, i did continue primarily martial arts Tai Chi because it made me feel powerful like a female Jackie Chan, it simply made me feel good and it looks so beautiful like a dance. When i practice outdoors somehow i got many smiles from people, a positive look in their faces, apparently i did improve THEIR qi. this is regardless from WHERE i am, in Europe, Australia, US, Asia etc

2 years ago i met Dr. Lam, after not practicing for a few years due to my busy schedule. He inspired me to combine Tai Chi and my medical profession and this was the beginning of everything.........Well, i always thought it would benefit my health, cure many everyday ailments like headache, stomach cramp, minor stress etc....etc..... My blood pressure and epicondylitis was more cured by a combination of balanced diet, positive attitude(but critical), nordic walking, Aussie bush walking and vigorous cannon punch Tai Chi

catpat
10-26-2004, 04:12 AM
I practice TaiChi for several reasons. It improves my very dodgy balance, encourages discipline (need to practice) and makes me feel happy. Yes happy!! it's a funny effect but if I do about 45mins to an hour practice I get a real Happy rush later in the day. It also greatly enhances my healing (similar to Reiki) ability. I teach TCA for it's very definite health benifits and can occasionally point the way for some spiritual growth
cheers
cathy