PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi in the Olympics

Dave30
08-15-2004, 11:32 PM
I understand Tai Chi will be a sport in the 2008 Olympics. I also heard it would be demontrated in 2004 Olympics. Does any one know when this demonstration will be on TV?

Greyphantom
08-16-2004, 01:03 AM
I would love to watch that... if anyone knows please let us know... cheers..

bajibrad
08-17-2004, 08:53 PM
I haven't heard anything about it being demod in this years Olympics(there's been some demos to the Olympic commitee though... not televised). Maybe during closing ceremonies or something? It hasn't been approved for the Olympics yet... China's trying hard to get wushu into the Olympics for 2008, but they're competing with a couple other sports. Other than wushu, golf and rugby are being considered, but they have to drop sports to get these in. They're considering droping baseball, softball and modern pentathlon. The final decision is supposed to be made next summer: http://www.masuccess.com/news/news_wushu.htm

Not sure of the format either. The last competition format proposal I heard was:
Men:
changquan(long fist)
nanquan(southern fist)
gunshu(staff)
daoshu(sabre)
Women:
changquan
taijiquan(tai chi)
qiangshu(spear)
jianshu(straight sword)

They just changed competition at the world championships quite a bit(no more compulsories), so they could still change the format entirely :P I think there's a ton of problems standing in the way, but I still hope it makes it in :)

carolinew
08-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Don't know when Tai Chi in the Olympics will be on TV, but it would make them worth watching, even staying up or taking time off work for!