PDA

View Full Version : Wushu/Taijiquan Competition

stanton
08-18-2004, 07:28 AM
For any who may be interested, here is a link to the USAWKF (USA Wushu) with criteria for competition.
http://www.usawkf.org/news.htm

The site also give information on upcoming events and upcoming changes rules for 2008 Olympics.

Midnight
08-23-2004, 05:31 AM
Good stuff, one of my Wushu coaches will be competting there.

BillT
08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Stanton- Thanks for the URL. I went over the rules of competition, and noticed that the longest period permitted for presenting the empty-hand forms is 6 minutes for the 42. What do people who train other, longer sets do? Do you have to learn a shorter competition set, or present part of a set?

Thanks, Bill

soraya
08-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Normally you need to learn a shorter set or dependent on the head judge, parts of a long form are allowed. The longest 6 minutes is for 42 and 56 forms

stanton
08-24-2004, 06:02 AM
BillT,

In my experience, you have to learn and do the 42 (or 48. or 40) if for National or International competition. Local competitions one may do a form providing it is done fo rthe time period.

Usually the application form states what one may do. The more well known local compettions will follow International rules.
In a competition I will enter in November, the categories are
42 Form
Chen style (not specified)
Open (Sun, Fu, Manqing)
3 min. for all forms

The 5-7 min appears to be for 'big' competitions while the 3-5 is for local and some National events. obviously not a hard or fast rule.

bajibrad
08-24-2004, 06:35 PM
For all the national level competitions I've done(here in the U.S.), it's 5-6 minutes for 42 form and 24 form, 3-4?(I forget exactly) for 42 sword, and 3-3:30 for the other taiji forms(Chen, Yang, Wu, etc.). What specific division the tournement has usually depends on the number of competitors they expect doing a certain style. The competition forms for each of the 5 familly styles don't fit within the time limits, so after the time keeper rings their bell at the 3 minute mark(or yells time), you just finish up your form wherever you're at. If you go over(like I've stupidly done before ;)) you start getting .1 deductions. I think the best way(if you know enough about taiji... if not, ask your teach to do this for ya) is to look at the rules for most competitions and put together your own form using a decent variety of technique that fits those time requirements. I usually just do the competition forms and stop when they tell me to though :p Either way seems to work fine.