PDA

View Full Version : Sun-style Repulse Monkey

Thomas
08-25-2004, 12:40 AM
I found an interesting discussion on the Shen Wu forum about this particular technique. In the traditional Sun-form, Repulse Monkey is performed four times diagonally, with lots of apparent spiral power, whereas the competition routine only performs this movement twice in the same manner as Brush Knee. So, do you agree? Are Brush Knee and Repulse Monkey performed the same way in the 73-form? Does anybody here practice the traditional set? This, naturally, is a question of application of the techniques.

soraya
08-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Melanie, her sister and me have learnt the traditional set from Sun Jian Yun's video. I do like the traditional way more but i think it is simplified in the competition form. In the Sun 73, repulse monkey is performed the same with heel turning inbetween. I find this less artistic but there is nothing like right or wrong, opinions are simply different. The internal path is the same although outwardly expressed more flowery in the traditional

stanton
08-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Thomas,

There have always been diferences between wushutaijiquan and the 'traditional' style since the former lacks elements of 'silk reeeling principles/properties'.

As taught, the Sun 73 does not 'traditionally' have the silk reeling expression, and if it does, it depends on the one who is teaching it. Again, people are looking at flowery and gymnastic type movements (extreme as in snake creeps down, or raising leg) so as long as the practitioner knows this, it is OK.

When I teach the Beijing forms, I tend to follow (I think) 'traditional' principles while still making the student aware of reasons for specific movements-more adaptive to fit the style and athletic ability of the player.

Application of technique also affects expression. Some people may no tknow the throwing fundamentals but can apply some qi'na or foot or hand trapping.

Application is bi-directional since it is rare that just a hand or foot movement only can stop someone. Both must work together and depending on changing scenarios (body adjustment and placement).