PDA

View Full Version : Weapons across Tai Chi Styles

BillT
08-27-2004, 01:19 PM
My martial arts school has a Kwan Dao by the door, mostly to scare small children I guess, since nobody knows how to use it. Some of us have considered trying to learn this via videotape, but we all train only Yang style empty hand form (at least in the classroom setting), with a few of us having learned Chien or Dao (Yang Style) from tape or seminars.

Can a Yang Stylist move directly to , for instance, Chen style saber or staff? Must you have a Sun style empty hand background for Sun style sword? And, for that matter, is Kwan Dao technique too sophisticated for a bunch of Karateka/Kobudoka with only a few years of empty hands forms, and very limited Yang-style weapons training?

Thanks, Bill T.

elan
08-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Bill,
Weapons form is usually reflective of a styles hand form, so the logical progression would be to learn the hand form first.
Elan

carolinew
08-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Try www.taichi-europe.com They teach Traditional Yang Style Long Form and also weapons forms/styles so may be able to give some advice. Good luck

soraya
08-27-2004, 11:55 PM
When a Yang stylist would like to move on to chen weapons it would be recommendable to learn at least a short fist form first and chan si gong, a miniform with easy movements but immense depth of spiral force. Elan is right but i learnt 42 sword forms prior to the 42 fist. I was lazy because the video had a different format but i had to learn 42 due to competition rules.

Mostly it is easier to learn 32 prior to 42 sword but i did the other way. However, I know a few Yang and Chen classical weapons incl. spear and staff

stanton
08-28-2004, 10:29 AM
There are still many teachers who are rigid where you must learn their 'style' (hand form) before weapons. In this case I usually go to wushu oriented teachers for instruction vs ones who are known to be 'traditional'. Again, these are relative terms.

My reason is that one does not have to learn every single weapon to be proficient in weapons. Even based on classical weapons instruction, the spear, staff and dao are basic enough to adapt to other potential "weapons". Jian is a special weapon so that stands by itself.

On reading Ueshiba history, he created weapons forms though he was not a weapons instructor per se. His basic training transcended specific forms so he 'knew' (intuition?) the steps.

It is rare to find an open minded instructor!

Shark
08-28-2004, 11:09 AM
i would think the only reason you might have for learning the kwan dao (Chinese halberd),much less pick one up,is if you were an avid history buff bent on accumulating as much knowledge as possible about Chinese weapons.
the Chinese halberd is a wushu(kung fu) weapon,intended to slice the legs off enemy horses.(now where the hell are you going to do that? by following an equestrian team around?)
yeah,learn the hand form first;you may find that perfecting this alone will take all of the skill you can muster in one lifetime without delving into weapons.
having said that,i caught some film footage recently of master Pan Qing Fu weilding one of those suckers at 60+ or whatever he is and it looked pretty darned impressive.
upon further reflection however i don't think the Kwan is an exotic enough weapon for you;mabe you should try the golden hammers!