PDA

View Full Version : "Contemporary Forms"

BillT
08-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Two summers ago I took my son and a group of Boy Scouts (Pathfinders, for some of you) to Seabase, a Scouting Adventure camp in the Florida Keys. Each morning and evening I would practice my Yang 108 Forms and Sword 32, while some curious scouts and parents looked on. At the end of the week, each "Crew" of scouts was asked to perform a skit for their peers. My Crew invented and presented (without my advance knowledge) the "Seabase Tai Chi Forms". These included Step Back to Repulse Horsefly; Wave Hands at Mosquitos; Hold Nose Against Rotting Sargassum (seaweed); and many others.

Back in Maryland, my school decided to create a set of "Contemporary Forms" for Special Exhibition purposes. We have forms like Wave Fist Like Angry Driver; Push Forward to Arrive First in Line; and Pick Up Son's Dirty Underwear from Under Bed. Have any of you done likewise, or have any "Contemporary Forms"?

carolinew
08-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I have often thought of creating my own form. I like the idea, so maybe I will work on it and let you know. If I also produce a video, I can send it to Dr. Lam for his expert opinion and advice on changes or improvements!

My managers son is a scout and when away on summer camp they were taught a martial art, which turned out to be Tai Chi. The boy aged 12 thought it was for old people who couldn't do anything very fast!

carolinew
08-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Think I have come up with a few moves

miss the cat with high kick
don't tread on cat while going backwards
repulse cat while going forwards

Incase you haven't noticed I have a cat. The moves that revolve round my son and husband include well placed kick and repulse males!

soraya
08-29-2004, 10:03 AM
I have created a few forms but they were derived from classical Wu and Yang style, long before I met Paul. Video is very expensive and take some time, at least 1 year or more including form creation. It must meet the essentail principles of 6 directions and 7 gates.

Dahlis Roy
08-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Several of my students enjoy power shopping. One day we practiced Tai Chi Shopping: Instead of turn and chop with fist, we practiced turn and shop with fist. Shop! Shop! They loved it and had a laugh.

Dahlis

Greyphantom
08-30-2004, 02:40 AM
Bill pure classic mate... wish I could have seen that... I love that idea... I havent and wont for some time try to create any new forms but I do have some moves that my Shifu doesnt... these include loosing balance and falling slowly, Falling forward and catching with hands... amongst a few others... improving though... ;)

stanton
08-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Creating forms is not a recent phenomenon and has been going on for centuries. Isn't Chen style a combination of family style, folk and Shaolin combinations synthesized by remarkable individuals (Chen Wangting).

Creating forms just for creation sake is another matter.
Yes. I have changed certains forms but have used the Beijing template using 'traditional' methods where I believe a person can be helped. I have taken out too low postures and too high (foot/heel) extending and havemodified snake creeps dowm but have retained the 48 or 40 Form as the standard.

Greyphantom
08-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Come to think of it... dont we change the forms when we learn them as each person practices the form in a slightly different way...