PDA

View Full Version : TCA in other places.

carolinew
09-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Having a free afternoon (one of the few), I decided I'd explore some of the other Tai Chi sites reccomended by Tai Chi friends and friends who know of my interest in Tai Chi.

There are some excelent links from this site, which is brilliant, but on exploring www.everyday-taichi I was pleasently surprised to find it reccomneding our site.

The site is worth a look just to compare notes, but this will remain my favorite as I enjoy the forum and meeting my friends here!:cool:

Greyphantom
09-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Yep I go to two or three other sites fairly regularly and also visit a few other non taiji related sites too...

bobo711
09-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Caroline:

I think your question was if we explore other TCA sites. I don't explore other sites in reference to Tai Chi for Arthritis, but have occassionly checked out other sites, mostly from Paul's links. I'm very happy having this site available for information and increased knowledge--you guys are the greatest!!

Bob

soraya
09-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Are you sure you meant other TCA or just TC sites?

I don't have much time, even not for this site. Yet I know Paul quite well, he is a doctor and what i find very special about this site is that it is not a pure virtual internet forum. There are chances to meet up at Paul's workshops etc....... Paul is a doctor so there are many scientifically and medically inclined people here, many instructors and absolute TC fans.

My original intention as i came to this site was to support Paul with medical answers. Then Stanton came and a few other professionals. I remember as i came to this site after i met Paul, he recommended it because i went overseas and would not like to lose contact to him, Paul was the only person answering questions in the"ask dr. Lam" section. Nowadays there are many professional instructors, good students and medics helping Paul answering questions.

Sometimes i do explore the site for physiotherapists as this is one of my interests, Wing Chun and pencak silat because I practice this too. Anotehr site which is interesting is:www.wle.com which is moderated by 2 instructors

carolinew
09-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant other sites with either links to our site or our site was reccomended as a good source of information and some where you could get videos and DVDs from.

I was excitied to think such a brilliant site like this one was recognised in other places!

Shark
09-26-2004, 09:20 AM
have visited other t'ai chi forums but think this one is the best of the lot.some of them out there are just plain mean;you can tell the forums that are just starting out because everyone bitches at each other;participants here argue,as to be expected,once in awhile but by enlarge everyone gets along and everyone is particularly generous when it comes to sharing their knowledge;whether just beginning or experienced, each one of the participants gives it all they've got.Most of the "regulars" have been posting for quite a few years and have eventually learned how to get along with each other;it's pretty inspiring actually;Dr.Lam's replies are consistantly valuable.
i don't think i'm being too grandiose by saying that this forum could be regarded as good model for the assimilation and growth of t'ai chi chuan and even a bit player in giving some hope to the world

carolinew
09-26-2004, 10:55 AM
I'll second that Shark.

By the way, curiosity is getting the better of me, why are you Shark?

Perhaps someone with a ncik name can start another thread and tell us all where tey cone from?

Shark
09-26-2004, 01:24 PM
my "handle" was"Enthusiast" back in the old days then i had trouble logging back on with that name so i changed it.anything would do.I played in the backup band of the Cornelius Bros.and sister Rose blues review in the 70's.Eddie Cornelius used to call me "marktheshark";the name stuck w/some of my friends to this day so i used it here

soraya
09-26-2004, 11:48 PM
I too find that this is the best site. People have learnt to respect each other. what i try to impart to my students and the rest of this forum is a certain etiquette to each other, which is exactly the same like to dr. Lam. Knowledge is different, but a person who is just beginning Tai Chi may have something else very valuable to share, maybe just a positive attitude, open-mindedness and enthusiasm.

Paul has now a laptop where he has access to the forum from every corner of the world. Before i felt responsible for this forum, when some people started to misbehave i had to contact him on the cell phone. This was very expensive so Anna offered her help by contacting him. Not very economical because this cost Tai Chi Productions money.

As Shark said, many people have learnt how to get along(redirect) and show respect for each other. Disagreements are normal in any type of society including this forum. This forum is one of the most well-mannered sites. Most good sites incl. the Wing Chun site are moderated by instructors and in the beginning i thought i could support Paul. Now this is not really necessary and the forum is just going on by itself

Dahlis Roy
09-27-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Paul,

Agree, yours is the best site for sharing Tai Chi~

Agree with Caroline, also recommend www.everyday-taichi.com

I have skimmed other sites and message boards but I do not feel comfortable posting on any of those. Paul, your Forum is user friendly and many people love to share here and feel welcome in the true spirit of Tai Chi. You and your professional team do a great job!

Dahlis

Dr. Paul Lam
09-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi Dahlis and others

thanks for your compliments... and i am very happy to read this from Shark:
"i don't think i'm being too grandiose by saying that this forum could be regarded as good model for the assimilation and growth of t'ai chi chuan and even a bit player in giving some hope to the world"

This is exactly my goal for the forum: for all of us to learn to share and grow together.

If we all do our best on the sphere of our influence with the tai chi principle of touch (listening to incoming force or trying to understand), yield (absorbing force or understanding other views) and redirect (gain control by reaching win win situation), we would be doing a lot of good for tai chi and our community.

Thanks everyone for your support and the sharing.

soraya
09-28-2004, 01:21 AM
The karate master i'm working with brings across a lot of sharing, touch, yield and redirect, not a single moment he thought of mentioned fighting. It's such a pity that he is not very confident with his English.

By the way, we also discussed the possibilty of integrating TCA and TCD into a fitness and health program. He owns a fitness studio and clients are usually not interested in too complicated work and more into "the big bang". This means that they are looking for a quick result(lose weight, destress, muscle work) where i find that TCA can destress with a quick result, fell the muscles by being in a bend position even in high stance, easy to learn and a lot of qi gong. We also found out that the word"qi gong" has a more impressive marketing effect.

Paul

Do you agree of us calling the forms"short form Sun style or Sun/Yang style" containing much qi gong? People don't have arthritis or diabetes and in the fitness industry they don't want to be reminded of any medical condition

carolinew
09-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Having visited another site, and in the light of how good this forum is I suggeted a forum there too. They directed me back here! That is for sure proof this forum is THE BEST

soraya
09-28-2004, 10:43 PM
True, this is the UPPER best forum, i can't find any words to describe this anymore. Was quite impressed by Shark's words. Apropos, my above post was somehow wrong, i wanted to post into another thread. I recommended this to the karate master and many other people who unfortunately only read English but are not confident enough to post. Such a pity! But i think people can post in other languages, there are many nationalities on this forum so it can be translated

Shark
09-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Dr. Lam's "supreme ultimate" website!
sounds like a commercial doesn't it?
hey, words don't fail me baby! (well maybe sometimes,could we possibly kiss A a little more?)
Des langues differentes? Pour vous ca marchera peut-etre mais pour les autres....
es-ce-que vous pourriez traduire un peu d'Chinois?
wo jiao t'ai chi chuan!!!!
wo tan gang qin!!!!!!

soraya
09-29-2004, 11:32 AM
c'est a petit peu difficile a traduire le Chinois. Par exemple wo jiao s'apelle c'est a moi ou je m'apelle. Wo jiao Soraya et wo zhuzai Sydney. Je m'apelle.......ou quand on demande de qui a le stylo? On respond aussie wo jiao. C'est beaucoup plus facile de traduire les langues Europeenes parceque je ne parle pas tres bien le Chinois. Melanie parle beaucoup mieu car elle passait quelques annees comme un enfant a Chen village.