PDA

View Full Version : Taiji seminars were awesome...

Greyphantom
09-27-2004, 04:39 AM
These are the last two entries from a journal I keep on another board... just wanted to share them with ya... they regard the taiji seminars I went to in the weekend... flippin awesome...

Hi there... well I went to my first taiji seminar today and it was awesome... I learned sooo much and got to see some applications and also push hands... very suprising and a real eye opener... I was particularly pleased to see why we have to have our hands in a certain position and how that applies to applications in a fight situation... I was really amazed at how easy Shifu seemed to repel force... one guy pretty much rugby tackled him and couldnt bring him down... we started with some chansijing exercises which included some I havent done before and also some Zhan Zhuang (for about 30mins but seemed shorter)... then moved onto the 18 short form... totally cool stuff... there were alot of others there ranging from young to old... cannot wait to the next one with this Shifu, his style is very much like the one I am practicing every morning... I have another one tomorrow with a different Shifu and I am really looking forward to that too...

well I have had an awesome weekend of taiji... the saturday class I have already mentioned... top stuff... but I also attended one on sunday... the Shifu who takes this one is one I have been trying to get to see for a few months now but the mrs has always got something booked... I went to this one not knowing what to expect really... it turned out to be the beginners class of the 18 form plus chansijing... when I got there I found that the people were pretty friendly and from all walks of life again... young and old, eastern and western... The instructor was great... real nice guy and was a brilliant teacher... made things soo easy to understand and explained even the little details... spoke in mostly chinese through a translator but so understandable (if that makes sense)... in the first 5 mins I learned quite a bit about weight shifting in the Chansijing (silk reeling exercises) and hand position and also relaxation of body and movement... he also gave a run down of Chen taiji and how it is used to prepare the body for combat and also its health benefits... his stances are quite low (and he also explained about stances and which to use depending on what you were seeking from taiji) and his movements were amazing to watch... In the form he broke it down to very easy to follow segments and we practiced both with him and while he went around and corrected... I didnt get as much attention as the others, which I am taking as a good sign..

5 hours later and I was one very energised but tired little bunny.. really felt the legs today in my practice... Shifu also teaches a Lao Jia Yi Lu (old frame first path) class and thats the one I have been trying to get into... I asked about it and got his permission to join the class... so I am really psyched about that... my wife sort of sighed when I told her about the 2 extra 5 hour sessions a month but she is pretty wonderful and just rolled her eyes and nodded... woo hoo... I cant wait... I consider myself really lucky to have found 3 very good Shifus... two I can learn from on a very regular basis and one whose seminars I can participate in...