PDA

View Full Version : TaiChi Ruler

Dave30
10-04-2004, 07:28 AM
What do you do with a Tai Chi Ruler? I understand there is form for the use of this item and that it is is a tool to aid the participant in maintaining the distance between their hands.

Anyone have any other information?

stanton
10-04-2004, 09:05 AM
It is known as a health tool for invigorating laogong and various meridians in assisting health. It also doubles as a tool to aid in training qi'na mechanics (seizing/holding/trapping)

tduehring
10-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Stanton is partially correct. The ruler is used as an aid in Qigong exercises. It helps in keepng the lao gong opposite each other and helps in focus.
There is another wooden object that is used for the strengthening and lengthening of the muscles and tendons. It is called a bong or stick. It is the length of your elbow to your first knuckles. It should be slightly larger than your grasp in diameter.

HTH

tim

soraya
10-06-2004, 08:20 AM
What Stanton talked about is a cun-o-meter, a device used to measure acupuncture points. The measurement is cun or app.1finger-breath.

TC ruler is held between the palms not only to keep the laogongs opposite each other but also serves as an aid in various qi gong exercises to transfer qi and many other functions. I bought one from Terry Dunn.

A bong can be long or short(what Tim described), can serve as an aid to strengthen muscles and tendons, later to transfer qi, the long pole is more difficult to handle qi. Primarily it is a weapon, in the hands of an expert it can be more powerful and combat an opponent with a sword. Naturally both devices serves to flow the qi and nurture health. My tennis arm is nearly cured with the bong

soraya
10-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Sorry Stanton misunderstood your post. Yes you are fully right that the ruler invigorates laogong and therefore enhances qi flow in the meridians.

For qin na mechanics one can use the bong Tim was talking about