PDA

View Full Version : an interest rekindled

bobo711
10-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Shark:

Thanks for the memories!! I also was a David Carradine and Kung Fu fan. So many lessons to be learned from watching that GREAT series. Always looked forward to watching my favorite show each and every week. Perhaps if society followed more of those great lessons that were in there, our world would be a better place--but then it's never too late to start!! Thanks again for your post and take care.

Bob

carolinew
10-09-2004, 01:00 AM
In some ways the show was ahead of its time in dealing with issues like racism and bullying, although I'm never quite sure if that's what it set out to do.

There are certainly lot of lessons we can learn from it today. I always liked the idea you could help others because it was good/kind/nice to do so, and I also like the idea of avoiding a fight unless there is no other way out of the situation.

This brings back many memories for me too. It inspired me to take up Tai Chi as a form of exercise and it inspired me to look more deeply into Buddhism.:)

Shark
10-09-2004, 08:48 AM
thanks for your enthusiastic replies all.
these shows are certainly hollywood's version of Shaolin existence
which is extremely well hidden and impenetrable (even from those in the West who go there to study) with the exception of the facade shown to tourists and the travelling road shows (which are comparable to touring Eastern block dance troups and not truly representative);As far as their sacred inner qigong type practices,you'll never see them;trust me.
The flashback sequences in the series are however extraordinarily true to detail regarding some of the martial practices.At least some of those known to us.
at the dangerous risk of repeating myself have i mentioned the story of the Confucian the Taoist the Buddhist and the mosquito?
The Confucian swats it and kills it,the Taoist waves it away but does no harm to it and the Buddhist allows it to alight,drink it's fill and go on it's way

carolinew
10-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Are you able to get National Geographic or Discovery Channels? If you keep an eye on the listings and adverts, they often have some very interesting martial arts programmes. Some are very superficial, and may only scrtach the surface, but like the touring shows, do offer another angle on it!

As for the enthusiastic replies, I think you have found something some of us are enthusiastic about!

Shark
10-09-2004, 01:39 PM
one would think you lot would be enthusiastic about
any of my posts (hah),they're so damned interesting.
Yes discovery Channel came up with some very interesting and pertinent stuff awhile back most of which i taped.
the one on Discovery was called
"martial arts the real story" and featured among other notables master Chen Yun San,Wm CC Chen,Robt W Smith,Alex Cosma and Maggie Newman who i recently had the pleasure of spending some time with.
A&E came out with "mystic origins of the martial arts" narrated by of all people George Takei (sulu on star trek).
that one's available on video BTW

soraya
10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Yes Shark i was away for the weekend in London. It was a long time i didn't watch this beautiful series. Now there is a new version about Young caine and his son, who is a police officer. Looks tougher but if you take a closer look, there is also a lot of wisdom here, the contrast between YIn and Yang(Caine and his son) but less Tai Chi shown. I don't remember details of the old series but would love to watch it again. Tx Shark for bringing back the interest and memories.

By the way, a few of my German students bought his video because it was synchronized. Yoga is a lot more popular due to marketing effects by Madonna. I plan to create more interest by ordering D.Carradine's poster. Yes, dancers are very often good at Tai Chi, look at my musical school students and they are enthusiastic too

carolinew
10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
The series with Young Cain and the son who is a cop is Kung Fu The Legend Continues.

Yoga is certainly very fashinable at the minute with thanks to the likes of Madona.

However I have not found many good sites for Yoga. Several friends who are heavily into Yoga also complain there are very few sites. All agree this is one of the better ( and possibly even the best) of the Tai Chi sites, and they are all always impressed with our forums.

I enjoy the diversity of thought, opinions, advice and experiences, so thank you everyone, and keep up the good work!