PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi and IBS

carolinew
10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
A workmate is interestead in Tai Chi, but is worried about it because he has IBS. I don't have a full medical history, but I know his job is also quite stressfull too.

My sugestion was to have a chat with is doctor, and to read up on the subject. Also gave him this web site saying TCA was no more stressfull than a stroll through the park.

Is there anything else I can do to help or give reassurance? Thanks for your help.

BillT
10-20-2004, 12:36 PM
I know essentially nothing about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (I assume this is the IBS you refer to). The following web site is the US National Institute of Health's reference:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/index.htm

This web site has a reference to IBS:

http://www.taichiproductions.com/info/your_health2.php

Superficially, Tai Chi would appear to be ideal in the management of IBS.

Bill T.

Dr. Paul Lam
10-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Irriatable Bowel Syndrome is considered caused by stress, tai chi is just an ideal way to combat this.

soraya
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Just would like to add that apart from destressing effect, Tai Chi breathing seems to have an indirect massage effect on the intestines. When you imagine a warm feeling around the belly(dantian), my students who are not yet ready to sink their qi, it helps

Apart from this a good balanced diet helps

carolinew
10-21-2004, 01:30 AM
Thank you all for your help. I will make sure my work mate sees this page!

bobo711
10-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Caroline:

Thank you for the interesting post! I never thought about TC helping IBS, but after reading these fine posts it makes sense. My wife will be a good test to try this out, since she's had this condition most of her adult life. Thanks again and the best to all.

Bob

soraya
10-21-2004, 11:52 PM
A very powerful tool is a diary to manage IBS. Maybe this can be obtained from the health foundations. Write up all your daily symptoms, how they improve and worsen. The onset when they improve or worsen e.g. food, emotions(positive and negative), stress techniques, exercise, Tai Chi.

A good instructor is necessary because many beginners are not very relaxed. This is the reason as to why i refrain from correcting too much in the beginning, rather give hypnotic-similar commands to the group like :"back straight, relax and focus" instread of "your back is not straight, you are not relaxed etc". The instructor should also avoid direct corrections to a certain person, without turning a blind eye to mistakes

carolinew
10-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Thank you for some good replies, all will be very helpfull!

stanton
10-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Though Yang style may be reasonable, Chen or Wu style MAY offer greater benefit. The chanssujin requirements are more pronounced in Chen and Wu style, which will provide greater intestinal motility with abdominal breathing.
Even zhanzhuang may be a good startegy for intervention.

There IS be a diet factor (type and quality of food eaten-see a dietician) so changing that with added/increased physical activity as deemed necessary by MD/family practitioner, along with taijiquan, qigong, or yoga. By also decreasing stress, anxiety, etc the lower abdominal region can heal itself.

Recent research pointing to the 'gut' (gut feeling') as a second brain, where when approaching a new task, we intuitively sense the 'gut reaction' and compare with the mind/brain rational complex. Just a tort!!!

soraya
10-23-2004, 09:36 AM
When i have time i will look for more info on the "little brain" and that is the gastrointestinal system. Stanton, your post is really valuable!!!