PDA

View Full Version : Crip Chi

garthatcher
10-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Dear Tai Chi Stylist:
I have Cerebral Palsy – and went through a windshield at eighty miles an hour several years ago -- and I still dance the Tao in the Cheng Man-ch’ing style of Tai Chi.
The journey has been along a very winding road, with many detours and delays, but I’m still here in defiance of all therapists’ and doctors’ prognoses and predictions.
I was wondering how many others practice Crip Chi. Or any that face physical challenges, and are crazy enough to believe that they can find more freedom in the form than they ever got from conventional western therapies. (?) I’d like to share gains with them, and perhaps we can all teach each other some new tricks.
Thank-you for your help.
Sincerely,
Ger Agrey-Thatcher
107 Jack Little Drive A7
Ruidoso, NM 88345
505-258-0042
druidoso@yahoo.com

The most important reason for learning
Tai Chi Chuan is that when you have
finally understood what life is about,
you still have enough health to enjoy it.
-- Cheng Man-ch’ing

Shark
10-24-2004, 03:55 PM
i very much appreciate the tenure of your post and in particular that great Cheng Man-Ching quote! thanks
of all the short forms,the 37 step is probably the way to fly,your story is heroic
are you by any chance aquainted w/ Wu stylist and famous T"ai Chi Chuan teacher Sophia Delza?
if not,her story might be of interest to you.
i can be a bit slow on the uptake nowadays but is "crip" chi supposed to mean crippled t'ai chi?

bobo711
10-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Sorry--not familiar with this term. Could you please offer additional info about this? Perhaps it's something that many others may be interested in. Appears to be working well for you. I too really like that quote. Continued success and well wishes.

Bob

stanton
10-24-2004, 08:46 PM
it may only be a joke (great sense of humor) but it is still taijiquan (aka tai chi). Great offense!!! ( as in Art of 'War').

Conventional therapies are important but people have hope so that is why they take up alternative/complementary method, as you already know. it has value to the individual and is life enhancing as opposed to just sitting there.

How is your posture?
trying to be funny here but in good spirits? that is good too?!

BillT
10-25-2004, 05:05 AM
My first instructor of Tai Chi disputed a lane with a Tractor-Trailer (on his motorcycle), and was in a coma for 8 weeks. When he walks, some foot drop is visible, but after 2 years in a wheelchair, he used Tai Chi as one of several rehab approaches, and has since won local competitions in the years since. He moves more gracefully in the forms than he walks.

I don't know if I'm physically disabled or not (!). However, once I get warmed up, I find practicing the forms very comfortable. Sometimes walking is uncomfortable for a while after I've been sitting because of healed fractures in my feet, knee and hip. When necessary, I'm every bit as agile as ever, it's simply the case that I've been warned not to test myself or practice techniques like "Falling Lotus", or jumping. I consider Tai Chi to be very helpful. Bill

carolinew
10-25-2004, 11:19 AM
I am impressed and amazed, so thank you for sharing. I know things like Tai Chi and dancing help all kinds of things! :cool:

Dahlis Roy
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
What a great thread!

Have you read the Dao of Taijiquan by Jou, Tsung Hwa?

He was 47 years old when he started to practice Tai Chi at the urging of a friend. Jou was very ill from heart and stomach problems and not a good outlook for his future.

I met him at age 81, 'rebuilt' with Tai Chi!

He is one of the main reasons I took up Tai Chi! I didn't have a choice, I felt so much better and focused, I had to continue learning.

Keep up the great work! Master Jou always said, "Make a little progress every single day."

Dr. Lam is in good control of his arthritis with Tai Chi practice! Look at his excellent videos and be inspired. Keep practicing.

Dahlis

catpat
10-26-2004, 04:19 AM
have a person at my meditation group with MS and limited mobility. He mentioned having done TaiChi when more mobile and had enjoyed it. I am loaning him Dr Lam's Tai Chi for Back Pain as it can be done seated. Hope his results are as good as the posts here. Will report on his progress
cheers
cathy

carolinew
10-26-2004, 11:06 AM
I have directed a few people to this thread, and am trying to persuade my significant other to do TCA in conjunction with medical help from our doctor to help with his aches and pains.

I am regulalry amazed at the help people on these forums get from Tai Chi, especially after hearing about some of the medical conditions people have.