PDA

View Full Version : successful launch of TCA beginners

ann.goodwin
10-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Successful launch!! I was overwhelmed with starters for a beginners Tai chi for arthritis class series. What a difference editorial copy in a local newspaper can make to public response for class bookings. I have about 20 people enrolled with about 13 in attendance each week. I have decided to be flexible about new people coming in - if they enjoy their first class they come back and tell their friends about it so I may have to arrange an extra class for next term to accomodate the demand. I chose a recently opened community venue which has proved a great boon for the locals who want to attend. My class fees I set at $30.00 for 4 classes, pensioners $6.00 per class to cover my rental for the first four weeks - I had an option to extend the room booking so with the numbers in the class, I can offer a flat class fee of $6.00 for all, over the next four weeks. I have found that anyone who struggles to coordinate arms and legs movements really enjoy a sit down when we focus on arm movements only. Likewise a short time with the focus on feet /steps (while keeping arms motionless) seems to instill confidence in those who say they have two left feet! Our group wants to run a Melbourne cup sweep for next week's class so I expect anyone who has not gone out of town for the long weekend will be back for another "TCA class with Ann".
thanks all for your support earlier this year. cheers Ann/ freelance private physio .

carolinew
10-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Congratulatins and good luck. I hope your class continues to be a success, and that you and your students get much benefit from it!

Dahlis Roy
10-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Hello!

So glad to hear about your class. Your enthusiasm is inspirational!

Dahlis

bobo711
10-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Way to go, Ann--that's awesome!!

Would you be willing to share more about the editorial in your newspaper? It sure seems like that did the trick for you. Also, did your local Arthritis Foundation offer any support? Your feedback would be appreciated. Enjoyed your comments about coordination of hands and feet--I suppose we're talking about Wave Hands in Clouds here? Many of my students have some difficulties learning that move also. Best of luck for continued success!

Bob

soraya
10-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Congratulations for that Ann! Yes, I think its not only the local newspaper but it is also your proficiency and enthusiasm.

Yes, i do the Tai Chi walk Yang style very often. For Sun style you can do the qi gong for Diabetes which is also good for arthritis, without arms to begin with. Hands on the belly(dantian) is quite motionless and not difficult. Just Sun walk in the circle with Paul's or any other music works wonders.

Yes cloud hands is somewhat worrisome for some people , it takes time. I very often joke and say"its like washing windows, imagine you wash windows". If they don't do well straight away, dont correct and force them. Do one movement first, create the flow. When its wrong, well it goes wrong for some time, practice makes perfect

Seated Tai Chi is something i do with many people, also with those who can walk, to prepare them for a flight.

Keep up the great posts Ann!