PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi and headstands?

Tammi
11-02-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm new to Tai Chi, and started with Dr Lam's DVDs and loved every minute of what I was doing, but I really wanted some time with an instructor. So I just went to my first actual Tai Chi *class* tonight, and came back confused.

Half of the class was what I expected, moves about what I'd been learning from the DVD or had seen in the previews of other DVDs.

The other half of the class went into what I would swear was yoga?? Is there a form of Tai Chi that is very similar to Yoga, involving headstands and moving into strange contortions on the floor and various stretches that I *know* I did when I tried Yoga a while back...

I asked the instructor about that and he said no, it was similar, but it was Tai Chi. I have a hard time understanding him, so have no idea what form, but I'm curious if that's a standard Tai Chi form and something I should expect in any Tai Chi class, or if it's a style I just hadn't seen before so should keep looking, or if he's blending the two or what?

Unfortunately, what I wanted was essentially an instructor to work with the 24 Forms and move on into other forms as seen on Dr Lam's DVDs. Not the floor exercises. :/

soraya
11-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Tammi

Nice to have another Tai Chi enthusiast here! To be honest, i hae been practicing TC since childhood and teaching for some close to 20 years and never heard about headstands. The theory is that qi or life force comes from the earth, travel from the foot, up the leg, back, down shoulders, elbow and express itself through the hands. Some teacher teach a mixture of yoga, other body-mind work and Tai Chi. However, i heard that some martial arts are performed on the head,Tai Chi is a martial art.

What do you like? Modern forms or classical? Modern ones are easier to learn because they are shoter and standardized. Would you like to learn 24 forms? Well, that is a standard form for beginners with some challenging athletic moves and basic to all other forms, contains the essential moves and principles

Tammi
11-02-2004, 11:12 PM
I don't know enough about it yet to know what I do and don't like, soraya. :) I do know that I like what I learned from the Tai Chi for Beginners DVD, and I liked what I've learned so far from the 24 Forms DVD (though I wish it had better bookmarks :p ), and I like what I've seen of Sun and Chen style (I think those were the two) though that was only maybe 1 minute of demo. And I'd like to learn something with swords. I like the flowing straight from one move into another, and the fluid motions. I'm not as into the floor stuff -- none of what he did on the floor struck me as Tai Chi, it was almost exactly what I'd seen in Yoga.

I'm going to keep with this class for the month I've already paid for, but after that, I doubt I'll continue. The yoga/floor stuff is not my thing. But I'll use this month as a way to improve my form as much as possible. And who knows -- it may grow on me after a few more visits.

I just wish I could find an instructor near me who offered classes on my schedule in my budget and who taught the 24 Forms and beyond.

carolinew
11-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Good luck with the Tai Chi. One of the reasons I took up Tai Chi is it is vertical rather than horizontal.

Have you tried the links to the left of this list? There is one for instructors.

Don't let the class you attended put you off, there are other classes and some very good videos, especially from this site!

Shark
11-03-2004, 02:55 PM
there are some moving (as opposed stationary) forms of Qigong;mabe that's what you are looking at,(although i doubt it);a good rule of thumb is to stick with the style you first learned in the beginning for a while so's you don't become sidetracked or confused;We have a saying that describes the class you are attending;"looks nice but it's not t'ai chi."
(although if you can perform the routine while standing on your head,we'll soon be calling you "grandmaster")

Tammi
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Caroline -- yes, I have used the Instructors link to try and find someone, with no luck. :( There's one person listed for my area and I contacted him, but he only takes seniors and people with health conditions, and he didn't know anyone who taught Tai Chi. His advice was to look in the phone book, which I've already done.

As to what I think the SiFu (right term??) is teaching as Tai Chi in the class I signed up for... I've done some searching on the 'net and I think that may be Pai Yung Tai Chi??

Dr. Paul Lam
11-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Tammi

Yes, what you describe don't sound like tai chi. Keeping looking and I am sure you will find a good teacher. or you could come to one of our workshops, you can see the calendar of workshop on your left. And if still not getting anywhere, if you wish, email our office at service@taichiproductions.com with your location and we will try our best to help.

good luck and enjoy.

Sorry i am closing this link as it belong to the section "Ask Dr Lam"