PDA

View Full Version : Clarification

MichaelBlum
11-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Hello, I hope things are going well for everyone.

I was wondering if someone had a better understanding of the difference between chi (vtal life force) and shen (Spiritual energy) and jin (internal strength)?

Thanks,

M

stanton
11-08-2004, 02:56 PM
You life oriemtation to date and exposure usually determines ones understanding of what you mentioned. You will get at least 100 different interpreations

jingqishen: we get jing from our parents, manifesting as thier qualities imbued withun us. as a modern explanation, jing may be on a gross level may be seen as DNA (ova/sperm). From this qi evolves, and it may share elements with jing. qi animates us and gives us our outlook, which in turn manifests as shen (spirit).

Spirit (having nothig to do with ghosts or halloween) as a living and learning orientation to the world. May be part of what may be termed fortitude, 'essence' (how we are and how we approach life) and similar attributes.

jin (internal strength) is different from jing.

soraya
11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Michael

This is a complex topic. You may read Paul's article about:"qi and yi", Qi, Shen and jing".

Just to make it a bit understandable:
qi is the vital life force which is also contained in trees and nature, in many foods. There is a heridetary qi which is genetic, there is a qi that is acquired through diet and cultivation(tai chi or acupuncture).

Shen means spirit or a certain alertness or liveliness which is expressed through your eyes. My teacher once demonstrated it as he thought I looked down and bored. He expressed the spirit through his eyes with a smile as though he had conquered something, moves like a general who just won a victory.

JIng means internal strength which may incorporate the strength of the inner body, organs and muscles, driven by the strong mind and intention(yi). Again my teacher gave s simple example: he bent down and picked up a glass. From the moment that you intend to pick up the glass with your mind, you bend down your body, close your hands around the glass and finally pick this up. In Tai Chi and martial arts there are several jings like:circular, pulling/grabbing, shoulder and elbow strike etc... etc. Chan ssuu jing is spiral force with a cork screw-like inner(and sometimes outer) motion

MichaelBlum
11-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Thank you,

Both posts were very helpfull.

Mike

Dr. Paul Lam
11-10-2004, 09:11 PM
i have written two articles relating to this topic

yi and quan
what is internal

check it out in the article page