PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi Outfit

Stephen_Williams
11-21-2004, 03:02 AM
Greetings everyone,

I just got my first tai chi silk outfits today. I'm quite excited about wearing them to practice my beginner forms. Although I have a question for the group - for those who also have these sorts of uniforms how do you remove the deep creases and wrinkles caused from the packaging? Can you iron them out? I have one uniform that's made of raw silk and the other is the shiny silk. I was told that I should only handwash them so I will assume that they are pretty fragile.

THanks in advance!
Stephen

carolinew
11-21-2004, 03:41 AM
Of the few silk items I posses, I hand wash them in luke warm water, and leave them to drip dry. This ussually takes care of most of the creases. If not get a damp towel and put it on a warm radiator and put the item on that for a short time, then put it on a hanger.

By the way when drip drying try to use a plastic hanger, wood tends to leave a stain, and some of the metal ones can rust. Plastic one also tend to be smoother too.

Shark
11-21-2004, 07:45 AM
unless you're used to cleaning products of this sort i would let a professional cleaners handle it;i've gotten into more trouble accidently shrinking uniforms and ruining taiji wear.
you're probably aware that uniforms of this nature are not required for taiji,Chinese practice in their street clothes and uniforms are usually reserved for demonstration tournament or ceremonial events;they are however fun to wear and can enhance your mood during practice;One famous t'ai chi personage offered that you should envision yourself practicing as if you were already a master.

carolinew
11-21-2004, 12:16 PM
From experience, I have found most silk stuff only shrinks if you wash it in very hot water then rinse it in cold. Follow the washing instructions, and use only luke warm water for washing and rinsing.

I have found dry cleaners very expensive for delicate material, and have had stuff shrink there too. You pays your money and takes your choice.

elan
11-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Stephen,
I agree with shark, but if you like the tai chi type uniform, I would buy a good cotton or blend for everyday and save the silk for special occasions for the obvious reasons stated above.
Elan

soraya
11-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Agree with Shark but GM Chenxiaoxing wears blue jeans, disco sleeveless jacket and sandals, performs the best TC I've ever seen. Sometimes I wear superminis, belly free top and sandals even for Chen 56 and still feel like a "master".

I wear silk outfit for demos and tournaments, it is fun to wear because it is so calming on your skin. My tailor advised me to wash it lukewarm with shampoo, rinse thoroughly, inside out. She advised against dry cleaners.

Melanie
11-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Use cool iron , switch on silk,and iron inside out

carolinew
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks Soraya, I hadn't thought of washing silk with shampoo. Next time I need to wash mine, I'll try it.

As I drip dry my silks when I can, I very rarely need to iron them. I donn't even squeeze the water out!

Stephen_Williams
11-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi eveyone,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. They are pretty helpful and I have put them to use!

Now after you dry them how do you store them? Do you keep them hanged up or fold them and put them away? I am just worried that long-term hanging will lead to sagging (you know, like gravity's affect on our bodies over time :) )

Thanks again!

carolinew
12-04-2004, 12:16 PM
I store mine where possible flat with layers of tissue paper and strict instructions to everyone else to KEEP AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!