PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi and longevity

kawan
12-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi,
Just something to motivate you to practice Tai Chi :)

http://www.chinahand.com/qigong/from_da_liu.htm

Marc Heyvaert
12-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi kawan!

Now that is an interesting story. I had heard of this man before and I recall having seen his picture in a book somewhere, but I forgot where and when. I tried looking it up on google some time ago, but then without success. Now you come up with the name!

In fact I saw his picture in "Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Chi Kung" by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming (1989)

This is a link

http://www.alamut.com/past/9906_jun.html

The picture on this website is not very clear, but I remember that in the book the quality is better. It looks very convincing too. I can imagine people above 100 years of age. A couple of years ago I saw an item on tv about Jeanne Calmant who was 122 (or 127?), so by extrapolating :) I have some idea of how a 200 years old might look and old Li fits the bill!

This reminds me about a fragment in that book of Deng Mingdao where Kwan Shaihung reveals that is master is 143 years old and the other guy (I don't remember who, probably the author) asks if this possible. Kwan's answer is a simple 'Of course, he's a taoist'. (That's how I remember it, I quote from memory here..).

Marc

Just adding a few links for those who want to follow up this story:

http://www.zubeco.com/gotukola/lichingyuen.html
http://www.wowzone.com/calment.htm
http://www.internalhealers.com/about/

kawan
12-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi Marc,
I think this is an example of long distance chi transmission aka telepathy :)

Thanks for the other links. The story about gotuKola is interesting. I wonder what became of the research.

Shark
12-07-2004, 11:23 AM
great thread;if there's one thing the Chinese know a little about it's longevity;cases of people living to 120 or even 140 are not as
unheard of as you might think;there is a small community of people in soviet georgia whose population regularly bypasses the 109 mark and claim to have had scores of relatives living to the ripe ages of 120 to 150!
while one might tend to be more than a bit skeptical of Chinese tall tales about their master's longevity and so called "documentation",(Zhang Seng Feng for instance,said to have lived several centuries),Tsung Tsai Liang
past away recently at the ripe old age of 103.
Jou Tsung Hwa was quoted as saying "life begins
at 70".
dunno about you but as a middle aged t'ai chi and qigong practitioner,i find this stuff pretty encouraging;
it always fascinates me how life span tends to increase
the further away one gets from modernism and technology

stanton
12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
shark,

Georgian, Azeri (Hunza included) and others do tend to live longer but at the same time, they have been known to exaggeration and inflated 'story telling' since due to lack of birth certificates, they live it up portraying their ages!!!

elan
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
A study on longevity was done on Okinawans. There is a book that I found quite interesting and I noticed there is a also web page.

http://www.okinawaprogram.com/

An important factor in longevity is quality of life. I think that is where Tai Chi plays a big role.
Elan

stanton
12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
elan,

terrific! the Okinawan lifestyle is the complete opposite of what we know in North America. They do not have the congestion, the hurried life, et of Japan and North America so that shows up in other spheres of life. I was there in the late 70's/early 80's and I found the island peaceful and serene. No worries at all.

kawan
12-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi,
I wonder among the following factors, what are their relative impact on longevity.
a) Food
b) Genes
c) Tai Chi and qigong
d) Stress
e) Substance abuse (alcohol, drugs, cigarettes)

Shark
12-09-2004, 07:46 AM
peoples bodies behave in such an individual manner it's hard to say what order your criteria might be listed in;i think genetics
and one's immune system (which t'ai chi helps) are right up there;followed by diet and t'ai chi/qigong,then maybe substance abuse and stress though many smokers live into their 90's.
childhood diseases are also a factor because they can weaken certain organs which becomes problematic as we age;t'ai chi helps with this too by stimulating these internal organs and helping them to recieve the proper blood supply

kawan
12-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Hi,
I suppose there are too many variable :)

stanton
12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
kawan.

There are not too many variables. They serve as awareness parameters to assess where you are in health status.

I would put taijiquan last on the list.

1. Heredity (parents and disease-whatevr disease you parents have, you will develop. Gender is a strong determinant depending on the diseae). One has no control over this but if disease profile is known, chances are that the 'disease' can be caught in time to 'prolong' life.

2. Diet. One has control over this but many time anatomy will control destiny. People eat through coinditioning ( i lokk at myself) to feed not the stomach but to control anger, feel comfort and try to fit into someone else's view of them. BEHAVIOURAL

3. SUbstance Abuse (key word abuse); When you abuse the body ober time, th body build up a resistance that it needs more of the product to achieve the 'euphoria', be it alcohol, sugar, weed? and other stuff. AT some point, mind loses control and body craves the product of abuse and the individual no longer has control. BEHAVIOURAL

4. Stress; Not a bad thing per se but in excess affects healing (psychoneuroimmunology). Stress is a signal that tell you somehing is missing, quantified as 'lack of planning', 'lack of vision' , lack of goal(s), etc manifesting as increased sympathetic responses (high blood pressure, increased breathing, sweaty palms, etc. Obviously netter to decrease the stress response (Herbert Benson-Relaxation Response, AND Hans Selye-check out). BEHAVIOURAL. How one reacts appears to be determined bu cultural factors.!??

5. Control diet, sunstance abuse and stress and you are halfway there since there is less psychological load within your system and taijiquan practice will either be better, or you will not need it.

Even one famous taijiquan teacher was stated to lhave oved wine (a good thing) but in excess, as stated can have not so good effects!!!

kawan
12-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi Stanton,
That's a good take on the subject :)
Thanks.