PDA

View Full Version : Question

The Poages
12-15-2004, 04:47 PM
When my husband and I start the forms we're on opposite sides of the room. When we finish, we're both in the middle of the room side by side. On the video, it looks like Dr. Lam finishes in the exact spot he started. Granted we're novices but does anyone else experience this kind of "travel"? Any suggestions for improvement?

Jenny

soraya
12-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Congratulations to your TC experience. It is supposed to end at the exact spot where you start but a slight deviation is not a problem. Even in competitions deviations of less than 45 degrees is accepted.

YOu ended up in the middle side by side while starting on the wall opposite each other? This is not a problem at all. Steps are naturally not the same size, so practice, enjoy, try to do the movements well and don't get obsessed by getting the angles too accurately.

Sometimes Paul gives feedback to beginner's video so you may ask him a question on the"ask Dr. Lam" section. This will be his decision but I think if you need it you can send him a video with a return stamp. Wait until he answers himself

By the way, even the "experts" are still figuring out and enjoying every minute including Dr. Lam.

The Poages
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks!! We're not too worried about it because we're having so much fun doing it, but were curious about it. What you said about natural step size makes a lot of sense. I (the male Poage, Lenny) and taller than Jenny and we are often adjusting our steps on the fly as to not bump each other, the Christmas Tree, or the book case. I won't even go into what happens if a cat decides it's time to rub our ankles. :D

carolinew
12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Some forms you end up where you started, although when I asked my teacher, he said it was better to relax and enjoy doing the form. I know with karate katas you're supposed to end up back in the same spot.

The Poages
12-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks. Back many many years ago, I took Karate as a youngster and I remember comng back to the same point at the end of the kata. There's still some "migration around the living room, but we're still having a blast!

Dragon6743
12-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Jenny and Lenny!

Don't sweat the small stuff. Pay attention to the basic things like balance, posture, relaxation, and movement flow. With time and patience everything else will fall in place. Above, have fun, which it sounds like to me that you do!