PDA

View Full Version : Just hit me

The Poages
12-20-2004, 05:42 PM
As y'all know, my wife and I are VERY much novices to TC, but I was thinking about random stuff and something hit me.

I'm currently working on my M.Ed. on Multiple Intelligences (Howard Gardner's theory relating to the how different mind are intelligent in different ways) and I'm wanting, after much more practice, to see if I can't bring TC into my English class as a method of engaging my kinesthetic learners. Has anyone done anything like this? Any success stories and/or warnings?

Thanks,
Lenny (the male Poage)

soraya
12-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Our Wing Chun teacher taught random attacks to beginners, but much more in a playful manner. Of course beginners don't have much intrinsic strength yet but the purpose is actually to motivate the new students rather than to make them masters. The senior students were asked to treat their junior with care, it is good because it teaches the seniors to adapt and develop social intelligence.

TAke an easy form like TCA(Tai Chi for arthritis) or TCD(TC for diabetes). With my older adults I don't do hard attacks but playing and pushing. ONe does the form, the other tries to push him off his feet. With arthritis people I'm more careful.

Some people see what i'm doing and ask"Is THAT Tai chi?"

soraya
12-20-2004, 06:15 PM
One person takes a martial art glove with a point and move it around very quickly. The other will have to react promptly, trying to hit exactly where the point is. This motivates the brain for quicker and unpredictable reactions, trains their kinesthetics to become adaptable and flexible. A basic exercise in TJ martial applications

stanton
12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Lenny,

Intrinsic strength is not important but kinesthesic awareness holds a lot more promise (though few use it) in response to an attack. As one is aware from the other's body language on where the attack is coming from, one either evades, redirects, feints, etc to not be there when the damage occurs. That redirection (parrying) and stepping away from, allows for better joint mobilization or pushing away. The key is sensing the weight of (push), then application of specific technique per size, flexibility, degree of athleticity, etc.

Part of your research as stated where 'different minds acting in different manners' relating to size, previous experience, and ability to incorporate the methods under study.

The Poages
12-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I never thought about those aspects.

I was thinking more along the lines of bringing more of the meditative forms into my 8th grade English class as an experiment in M.I. I'd love to invlove more TC, but since it's a public school, I may be opening myself up for a lot more than I bargained for; especially if a kid gets hurt.

stanton
12-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Lenny,

Kinesthetic awareness usually begins with external positioning/awareness implying if there is 'unbalance', repostioning and being aware of where to compensate. The taijiquan study of balance in the elderly is a good reference to start. They identified at least 7 criteria that allowed for better awareness and how to adjust.

Zhanzhuang (post-standing) appears to fit the bill where there is no pushing between people but being aware of your own body in space (proprioception). One just holds specific posture and tracks the ideation (what i sgoing on, why, how can I decrease abc, etc), balance, tension, etc It is safe enough unless of course, too much standing can lead to complaints!!

soraya
12-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Poages

I wrote an article" Tai chi for karate kids" and send it to Pauls newsletter. I don't know if he likes it. When he doesn't like it I will publish it somewhere else. It is short with more pictures than text. I incorporated little social games to impart the essential principles. Please read Pauls article"essential principles for beginners".

Sun style has a slightly faster pace and actuall suits the kids very much. Pauls short form is easy, contains lots of qi gong and meditative components as well as martial applications