PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi Cane Form

bobo711
12-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a TC form using a cane? I'm trying to obtain some info on this so any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Happy New Year to All

Bob

BillT
12-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Bob- This is the URL for the Gilman Tai Chi studio:

http://www.gilmanstudio.com/display.php?sect=2

carolinew
01-01-2005, 01:21 PM
When I asked my teacher, he said it was similar to Sword form, and there are also umbrella and fan forms!

bobo711
01-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you Bill and Caroline for your input--it is appreciated!

Bob

Marc Heyvaert
01-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Hello,

There was an article about Wang Shu Chin's walking stick system in T'ai Chi Magazine of Dec. 1994. You can still order this issue. Details are to be found here:

http://www.tai-chi.com/back.html

Searching google for Wang Shu Chin walking stick yields some interesting results too.

Regards

Marc

Shark
01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Wang shu jin last of the truly greats;both bruce frantzis and bob smith met him and i sure am envious;spending a few hours w/this guy was like spending years with anyone else;a huge 300lb fellow whose speciality was pakua of which i'm almost totally ignorant but his qigong practices were really strong like it was with masters in ancient times;he had that"magic" where he would suddenly be able to appear behind you and so forth; pakua is supposed to be by it's nature disorienting to the opponent,so he must have used this aspect to full advantage also

stanton
01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Wang Shuqin was also a member of a 'society' (yiquandao? or something) where he taught various qigong methods to members as part of their goal. His previos occupation was a carpenter also appeared to developr the strenght he was stated to be proficeint in and made a great impact on his art.

BillT
01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I highly recommend Robert Smith's book "Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods" for its discussion of the remarkable Wang Shu Chin.

Two alternative approaches to an actual Tai Chi Cane form (did you look at Gilman's?) suggest themselves regarding "Caning". One, use a Straightsword or Saber form, perform it with a cane, and consider adding cane-specific applications like hooking an ankle. I've practiced sword and saber forms more with a beach umbrella than with the weapons themselves. Two, learn a cane form from a different art and practice it with Tai Chi principles. Karate/Kobudo has a new but paradoxically highly sophisticated approach to canes. Phillipino Kali or Arnis teaches short stick fighting. Believe it or not, there is an Irish-inspired approach to this called "Whiskey-Stick fighting". - Bill T.

bobo711
01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi Bill:

Yes, I did get a look at Gilman's website, I certainly enjoyed it and it was also helpful in my quest. The book by Robert Smith also seems like a good suggestion. I'm not familiar with the gentleman, but I've seen his name mentioned in here quite a few times now, so it bears checking into.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help--I appreciate it!

Bob

Shark
01-06-2005, 07:45 AM
masters and methods is good but Martial Musings is R. Smith's best effort to date in which he chronicles individually the chinese boxers he was able to meet,study with and document in taiwan;besides being a great overall martial arts book;Martial Musings is the "bible" for us in terms of chinese martial art and an especially relevant book no one on this site should be without