Go Back   Tai Chi for Health Forums > Tai Chi for Health Institute > Workshop/Website feedbacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 03:00 AM
Instructor

Tai Chi for Arthritis Instructors' training workshop by Dr Lam & his master trainers

My name is Sandra Barling and I participated in the TCA course on the weekend. As a personal trainer and group fitness instructor, working with primary school aged children through to older adults, I am required constantly to do these courses, and was sent to this one as a last minute desperate attempt to train somebody within our organization to teach Tai Chi in some form. Never have I come across a course and master trainers like Jana and Wilfred. These two people did more than the job they were being paid to do. Their patience, caring attitude, complete understanding of the aim and purpose of the course and knowledge of just how much information to give was outstanding. Thanks to both of them and their unique way of teaching, Wilfred with his application and purpose of each move in its true Tai Chi form and Jana with her grace and clam to perform the moves were a dynamic combination. I now consider myself to be the fortunate one to have attended this course and sincerely thank these two wonderful people for setting me on a journey that has already changed my life and also the lives of those who will participate in the TCA classes I will run. I would also like to extend my thanks to Dr Paul Lam and those involved in making TCA such an amazing experience.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:10 PM

thank you Sandra for this feedback.

For the benefit of other readers I would like to add that Wilfred Kwok, a physiotherapist and Jana Solovka, a allied health professional are both great master trainers. The workshops among many others are organised by Arthritis Foundation of Victoria, you can find other similar workshops in Victoria at the Arthritis Victoria' website, call the foundation or my site here under Workshops/Calendar
http://www.taichiproductions.com/wor...ndar/index.php

you can also see workshop photos throughout the years.

many arthritis and diabetes foundations organised or supported our workshops worldwide. please check the Calendar for workshops around the world.

We have now 40 master trainers, all of us are dedicated in improving people's health and life style through using my Tai Chi for Health programs. you can find out more about them from my site through Instructors/master trainer, or this link.
http://www.taichiproductions.com/cla...ster_trainers/

i will be conductiong a Tai Chi for Arthritis training workshop in Sydney this weekend 22-23 July 2006, please contact my office if you wish to come or go to calender for more detail.

Dr Paul Lam
Family physician and conjoint lecturer, Univ. NSW
Director, Tai Chi for Health Institute
4 - 6 Fisher Place Narwee, Sydney NSW 2209 Australia
p +61 2 9533 6511
f +61 2 9534 4311
e service@taichiforhealthinstitute.org
www.taichiforhealthinstitute.org
Subscribe my newsletter: www.taichiforhealthinstitute.org/newsletter

PS: If you wish to communicate with me personally, please send an email to the address above and write on the subject line 'For Dr Lam's Attention'.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Smile TCA update and TCA2 Workshop Adelaide

This weekend I presented the above workshop in Adelaide for the Arthritis Foundation of South Australia.
The weather was rather warm with a temperature of 40 degrees, (and this was in the shade). However the venue had excellent airconditioning which everyone was most appreciative of. Those attending came, not only from metropolitan Adelaide but from country areas, some from quite remote areas where it is difficult to find a Tai Chi teacher.
The feedback from the workshop was most positive. Some of the comments received were:
"The practical aspect was enormously helpful, plus the information given and breaking down the movements into small sections. I enjoyed every minute....it ended too quickly. I leave feeling more confident in my teaching skills". Lynette Wynchcomb

Other comments we received emphasised the benefit of breaking down movements and having a relaxed, comfortable, friendly and non threatening atmosphere. Also practising in small groups was found to be most helpful. All participants valued the repetition of movements, the chance to ask questions and share knowledge and being allowed plenty of time for practise.
The organisation of the workshop and the buffet lunch by Jenny and Vivienne of the Arthritis Foundation SA was, as usual, absolutely fabulous. The venue was superb with beautiful gardens (although we didn't make use of them this time due to the heat). The food had a good mix of vegetarian and non-vegetarian choices and this was enjoyed by all. Our next workshop in Adelaide is being presented by Dr. Lam in May and is "Tai Chi for Kids".
Rosemary Palmer, Master Trainer SA
Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to blondtwin1950
Scholarships For Your Training Classes

Hi. I am wondering if there are any scholarships for any of your upcoming classes in the United States? A friend of mine is a Master and teaches Tai Chi to three (3) different senior centers and he charges very little money to the students. He does not have much money to put towards your training sessions, hotel, meals and gasoline. I was wondering if there is anyway that there could be help. He is a wonderful person and has helped many.

Thank you. Charlene
Old 04-13-2008, 05:30 AM

thanks for the question and great to know you have nice friend who care about teaching tai chi to help people.

Application the scholarship for the June workshop have been published from last year on my newsletter and the winner are posted on my April newsletter, please go to newsletter to read about it. Do consider subscribe my newsletter for yourself and your friend.

We would love to see your friend in my workshop, in fact it is nearly fully booked, so if there is any possibility of him coming, do register asap.

Dr Paul Lam
p +61 2 9533 6511
f +61 2 9534 4311

PS: If you wish to communicate with me personally, please send an email to the address above and write on the subject line 'For Dr Lam's Attention'.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up Palm City workshop, Florida

On April 12th 2008, Master Trainer Patricia Lawson gave great in-depth workshop on the TCA in Palm City, Florida. The 5 hour training was just what we needed to gain the edge on our development in our Tai Chi. I look forward to the next one if not sooner I hope.

Thank you Patricia Lawson MT,

Had a great time....
Would love to hear other experiences, and views about the workshop if they had attended?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 PM

Great News

I attended the Tai Chi for Arthritis training seminars on March 15, 16, 22 and 23 with Caroline Demoise and Susan Scheuer. I had originally taken the training seminars hoping to find the missing piece to use with my personal training and holistic lifestyle coaching clients. Instead I found my own personal missing link of spirtuality, fitness and lifestyle. Also the program has more than exceeded my expectations for my clients. At the second weekend of training for Tai Chi for Arthritis I spoke about how I began teaching one of my clients with Graves disease the Tai Chi for Arthritis form. She has learned the first 12 movements in each direction during our one on one sessions. She called me this weekend to tell me that she received the results of her latest blood work and is now showing close to normal blood levels both her and her doctor were shocked to learn the only thing that has changed was her introduction to Tai Chi over the last month or so. Her doctor thought the results were shocking and they are both glad that she should be able to avoid having her thyroid removed. I can' t thank you enough for teaching me, inspiring, and motivating me to help and teach others.

Peace and Happiness
Tracie Thompson
Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Question Tai Chi for Arthritic/Osteoporosis workshop

Dear Dr Lam,

My name, Jennifer Yuen from Singapore. I am interested to attend the Tai Chi for Osteoporosis Workship. Understand there is a workshop on May 25 to May 26 in Sinagpore. Could you let me know how do I go about registering for the workshop.

Currently I attended the Tai Chi for Arthritis trainging arranged by the National Arthritis Foundation and find that it is different from yours. Therefore I like to attend the coming workshop for Osteoporosis.

I have learn Tai Chi for the past 6 years and I wish to upgrade myself so I can come forward to help people who have arthritis problem in mastering Tai Chi for health reasons.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Jennifer Yuen
Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Hi Jennifer

It's really easy to enrol for a workshop. Just go to the "Workshops" heading at the left hand side of this screen, and click on "Calendar".

Two lists of all the upcoming workshops to be conducted by Dr Lam and his Master Trainers will be displayed, and the Singapore workshop is the second one listed in Dr Lam's section.

Simply click on the registration link, and you can use your credit card to pay online.

Have a great time!

Heather
Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Smile

Dear Heather,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am now registered to attend the coming Workshop and I look forward to meeting Dr. Lam. Thank you Heather.

Currently I am learning Tai Chi for Arthritis conducted by a local Tai Chi master in Singapore, arranged by the NAF in Singapore. His method of teaching is different from the "Tai Chi for Arthritis by Dr. Lam" . I would like to purchase a copy of the Tai Chi for Arthritis CD by Dr. Lam and to learn from the CD before meeting Dr. Lam so that I can check with him for any form if I encountered any problems. Sad to say, the Tai Chi master is not helpful and instead I am force to purchase his Tai Chi's book without any CD which is not relevant to the Tai Chi for Arthritis which I look forward to learning.

Is there any Dr. Lam's CD stock in Singapore where I can contact to purchase this CD.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Fields View Post
Hi Jennifer

It's really easy to enrol for a workshop. Just go to the "Workshops" heading at the left hand side of this screen, and click on "Calendar".

Two lists of all the upcoming workshops to be conducted by Dr Lam and his Master Trainers will be displayed, and the Singapore workshop is the second one listed in Dr Lam's section.

Simply click on the registration link, and you can use your credit card to pay online.

Have a great time!

Heather
Old 05-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hi again Jennifer

I'm not personally aware of any stockists in Singapore, but maybe some other Forum members might be?

Otherwise you could buy direct from this site, the special offer this month is to buy the TCA and TCA2 DVDs and get a free TCA wall chart and Handbook. Then all you need is a Tai Chi Music CD and you'll be all set for when you start teaching your own classes!

Just click on the DVDs link at the left hand side of the screen (under Products).

Enjoy the workshop,

Heather
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Smile

Hi Healther,

Thank you for your info. I contacted the NAF in Singapore and manage to purchase the TCA and TCA2 as well as the Handbook. I find the methods and teaching aids very helpful. Thank you so much.

Please pass message to Dr. Lam that the local instructor Mr. Renni chong do no follow the requirement of Dr. Lam teaching for " Tai Chi for Arthritis". After viewing the DVD, I find that Mr. Renni Chong teaches the warm up so different from Dr. Lam. These warm up is not good to people with Arthritis problems. Instead of helping them it make the pain worse. Secondly the students are made to purchase the Renni Chong Tai Chi Book instead of Dr. Lam DVDs and handbook. Such unprofessional approach to classes conducted by Mr. Renni Chong could cause misunderstanding about Tai Chi for Arthritis which Dr. Lam is helping patients who has Arthritis problems to learn Tai Chi to overcome such pain. If it is so painful, students will find Tai Chi not good for them instead.

Regards

Jennifer
Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 AM

thanks for your comments, please come up to say hello when i get to singapore. look forward to meet you.

Dr Paul Lam
p +61 2 9533 6511
f +61 2 9534 4311

Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM

Smile

Hi Dr. Lam,

Sure, Look forward to meeting you in Singapore.

Regards

Jennifer
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM

TCA instructor training in Bozeman, Montana

I would like to thank Mearle Thompson for conducting a very professional and informative workshop. Excellent job Mearle!

I stumbled on the add for the workshop about a week before it was scheduled. Didn't really know what to expect from a workshop that offered to make tia chi instructors in two days. For some history about myself, I have been practicing CMC style Yang form for nine years, and have been actively teaching this style for two years. I know it took me many years of practice to really get to where I felt comfortable teaching what I was practicing. On a side note I have been teaching skiing full time for ten years am fully certified, and a ski school trainer as well, so I was already comfortable teaching a physical movement sport to people of all ages.

Back to the workshop. I was impressed by the quality of the material and the professional manner in which it was presented as well as the quality of the other candidates that were there to learn. If I can speak for the group, I think we all came away with tangible learning and will all be better of for our participation in this workshop. I particularly liked the emphasis on teaching, and how to teach. Dr. Lams Stepwise Progressive teaching method is very good and takes what most good teachers have been doing intuitively and boils it down to a simple methodology which any one can incorporate into their teaching. The emphasis on how to teach to the targeted population was very good as well. This arena of how to teach is sometimes overlooked, and I was very glad it was front and center in this program. this goes a long to maintaining the integrity of the program.

The other personal benefit was that I was introduced to a new style of tai chi which is very interesting to me. I can see myself learning the entire sun form in the near furture. A welcome new development in my own personal tai chi journey.

So thanks again to Dr. Lam, the Arthritis Assoc., and in particular Mearle Thompson for a great program and workshop. I will be starting my TCA class in the September at a local retirement community owned by our hospital. I also hope to someday bring this program to chemo patients when I can find the right place.

Last edited by RicB : 07-11-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:10 AM

I am interested to attend the Tai Chi for Osteoporosis Workship.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hello Julie

We have workshops coming up in October in Manchester, UK and Kingsland, USA. Please click on this link to see our workshop calendar, then click on the workshop which would best suit you.

http://www.taichiproductions.com/wor...ndar/index.php

Each workshop site has contact details for the Master Trainer who will be assisting Dr Lam, and they will be delighted to help you with any questions you may have.

Thank you for your interest.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Thumbs up Tai Chi for Arthritis Workshop in Birmingham, AL

Many thanks and much appreciation to Shelia Rae, Brian Tuesca, Kitty Frey and Grover Sheffield for an outstanding Tai Chi for Arthritis Instructor Training and Certification workshop on Feb. 6th and 7th (2010). The interactive format of the workshop got everyone involved, thinking, talking and exchanging ideas and experiences. We now have a new group of certified TCA instructors here in the South East US, which means many new classes, a new level of awareness about Tai Chi in this area, and the opportunity to help many, many more people.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: